Friday, December 28, 2012

Taco Soup

This is one of my favorite soups.  It's hearty and oh so flavorful, but the best part is that it's so simple to make.  Even kids like this soup because it has all the flavors of a taco.


This recipe came to me by way of an advertisement for a cookbook that showed up in the mail.  I never order cookbooks that way, but I will keep any recipe they share in order to entice me.  This was one of those recipes I saved and tried later.  If I had thought that all of the recipes in the cookbook would have been as flavorful and wonderful as this one, I would have ordered a copy!  This recipe was a winner from the start and it gets all 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.


I begin by combining the ground beef and onion in a Dutch oven and cooking it over medium-high heat.  As it cooks, I stir it occasionally, breaking up the meat.  When fully cooked, I drain off the fat and discard it.


To the meat I add the taco seasoning and the Ranch dressing mix.  Years ago, my first cooking teacher said it was best to add spices and seasonings directly to the meat so that it gets seared to it and is evenly distributed.  I was a good student and still do it that way today.


I thought I'd throw in a picture of the chili beans I use in this dish.  This brand has a great flavor and since 3 cans are used in this soup, it is a major contributor to the flavor of the final product.


After returning the heat to medium-high, I add to the seasoned beef and onions, the chili beans, stirring to combine.


I then add the tomatoes and tomato sauce, and stir to combine.


Next, I add the corn and the green chilies, again, stirring to combine.  


After stirring in the water, I bring it to a boil.  Then I reduce the heat and simmer it for 15 minutes.  During this time, I shred the lettuce and cheese and cut the tomatoes.


When it's ready to serve, this is how we like to top our soup.  We begin with the soup in the bowl.


We then top it with Fritos.  The recipe calls for corn chips, but the picture on the original showed Fritos, so that's what we use.  Any corn chip may be used.



Then we add some shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.


We follow that up with the shredded lettuce.  I know, I thought it was weird to add lettuce to soup, too.    Trust me, it just adds to the taco flavor of the soup.  I've served this to many people, who have tried it without the lettuce and then with it once I've convinced them and they say it's much better with it added.


Next on are some diced tomatoes.


The last ingredient is the sour cream.  I know you can hardly see the soup any more!  But, when you eat this all together, it truly has the flavor of tacos.


There aren't too many soups that are as flavorful as this one.  Plus, it's stick-to-your-ribs good!  Enjoy!



Taco Soup

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 (15 ½ oz.) cans chili beans
1 ( 15 ¼ oz.) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (14 ½ oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 ( 1 ¼ oz.) envelope taco seasoning mix
1 (1 oz.) envelope Ranch-style dressing mix
1 ½ cups water

Toppings:

Corn chips, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook beef and onions in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until meat is browned and onions are tender, stirring until meat crumbles; drain.

Stir beans and next 7 ingredients into beef mixture; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  In the meantime, shred lettuce and cheese and chop tomatoes.

Spoon soup into bowls; top with desired toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment