Saturday, December 1, 2012

Broccoli Supreme

This is one of my family's favorite side dishes at the holidays.  It goes very well with turkey and we also serve it at Easter with ham.  My husband, who doesn't really care for broccoli, likes this dish.


This is another recipe I've had for over 30 years.  I first tasted this at a potluck meal at the church I was raised at, and Millie Cochran was gracious enough to share her recipe with me!  This dish certainly isn't low fat, but on special occasions, we don't really worry about that, do we?  It's the flavor of this dish that will keep you coming back for more.  In fact, I could guarantee that you'd be hard pressed to find a broccoli dish you like better!  This dish gets 9's all around from those living in my home and 10's from the rest of the family.


I begin by cooking the broccoli.  My cooking method depends on how I purchase my broccoli.  If I buy it fresh still on the stalks, I remove the florets and put them in a large frying pan, add enough water to cover them and then bring the water to a low simmer.  After simmering for 5 minutes, I drain the water and I'm ready to add the broccoli to the dish.  Lately, I've been buying the broccoli florets washed and ready to use in a bag, which can be microwaved to cook the vegetables.  I use the instructions printed on the bag to cook the broccoli perfectly.  While the broccoli is cooking, in a large bowl, I combine the eggs, cream of chicken and mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, and pepper.  I usually omit the salt because the cheese and stuffing mix have enough salt for our taste and I use about 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.


To this I add the chopped onion.


Then I add the broccoli.  If I will be baking this dish immediately, I add the broccoli hot.  If I won't be putting it in the oven until later or the next day, I let the broccoli cool before adding it to the soup mixture.  This aids in the dish cooling more quickly in the refrigerator.  When baking this dish after it's been refrigerated, I either bring it to room temperature before putting it in the oven or I add 5 minutes to the cooking time.



Once the broccoli is fully incorporated, I put it in a 9-x13-inch baking pan and spread it into the corners, making sure it's an even layer.


Then, I add the shredded cheese.  I always used an 8 oz. brick of Cracker Barrel Extra-Sharp Cheddar cheese.  I know it's a bit more expensive than other brands, but it's the perfect level of sharpness and the perfect amount for this dish.  I try to distribute it as evenly as possible.


Then I melt a stick of butter.  I usually do this in a measuring cup in the microwave, but it was occupied at the time, so I had to melt the butter the old fashioned way, in a saucepan.


I place the Stovetop Cornbread Stuffing Mix in a medium bowl.  It's important to get the Cornbread type for maximum flavor.  To the dry stuffing mix I add the melted butter and using a table spoon toss these ingredients to evenly coat the cornbread in the butter.


Using the same spoon, I sprinkle the stuffing mixture on top of the cheese layer.  Again, I try to distribute it as evenly as possible.


Into the oven it goes to cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  If you are also making my Kentucky Spoon Bread dish, they can be baked at the same time as they cook at the same temperature for the same amount of time!  When done, everything is cooked nicely, the cheese has melted and the cornbread is slightly crunchy on top.


Any time I share this dish at a common meal, I'm sure to get a request for a copy of the recipe, it's that good!  Enjoy!


Broccoli Supreme

2 pounds fresh broccoli, cooked*
1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
¾ cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs, well beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ cups (8 oz.) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkg. Stovetop Cornbread Stuffing Mix
1 stick (4 oz.) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Cook broccoli.  In the meantime, combine soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, eggs, onion and seasonings.  Add broccoli; mix to combine.  Spread in a 9-x13-inch baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Melt butter; pour over stuffing mix and toss to coat. Sprinkle over cheese.  Bake at 350°F  for 45 minutes.  Serve hot.

*Purchase 4 pounds of broccoli, remove stalks yielding 2 pounds florets



No comments:

Post a Comment