Friday, December 28, 2012

S'More Bars

Every year, the prison ministry at our church throws a Christmas party for the men where they minister.  The people in our congregation are encouraged to donate cookies for this event.  Every year I try to pick one of my favorite cookies to make for the men who attend.  This year it was these amazing S'More Bars.


I found this recipe in the 10/9/01 issue of Family Circle and first tried it our on our group of friends who attend our annual beach trip.  Although S'mores are easier to put together than these bars, they give you that flavor and they can be taken anywhere because no hot coals are required!  This recipe gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale, plus high marks from anyone else who has tried them.



I begin by crushing the graham crackers.  I know this can be done in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, but I find the fastest way is by using my mini food processor.  This also ensures that I don't find any bits that I haven't crushed thoroughly.


In a medium bowl, I combine the graham crackers, with the salt and sugar.



To that I add the melted butter, mixing until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.


I then press this mixture evenly into a 9-x13-inch baking dish, making sure it's even into the corners.  I then place this dish in the refrigerator while working on the brownie layer.


The first step in making the brownie layer is to chop the bittersweet chocolate.  I do this using an extremely sharp, large knife.  I don't know what I was thinking here, but I didn't remove the chocolate from the foil packaging before cutting it, so I had to remove a bunch of small pieces of the foil before I did anything else.  Note to self:  Remove chocolate completely from wrapping before placing on cutting board to chop!


In a large, microwave-safe measuring cup I placed the butter.


To the butter, I added the chopped chocolate.


After heating it in the microwave on high for 1 minute, the butter and chocolate were melted.


Using a rubber spatula, I stirred this mixture until it is smooth.  I then set it aside.


In a medium bowl, I combined the sugar and eggs.


Using a hand-held electric mixer, I beat them until well blended and slightly foamy.


While continuing to beat the mixture, I gradually add the chocolate mixture (there was no way to take a picture of this as I was holding the measuring cup with the chocolate in one hand and the mixer in the other).  I beat this combination until smooth.


Then, using a rubber spatula, I stirred in the flour and salt.


Once that was smooth, I added the vanilla and stirred the mixture until smooth.


I added the brownie batter into the baking dish, spreading evenly to cover the graham cracker crust.  I then baked it at 350°F for 30 minutes until the center was set, which I tested by gently pressing it with my fingertip.


While the baking dish was in the oven, I combined the marshmallow cream with the milk using a whisk.  


The resulting mixture is smooth and runny.


I also placed 3 graham cracker boards in a zip-lock bag, and coarsely crushed them using a rolling pin.



When the brownie layer was fully baked, I removed it from the oven and immediately added the marshmallow mixture.


Using oven mitts to protect my hands, I tilted the baking dish to completely cover the brownie layer with the marshmallow mixture.


I then sprinkled the chocolate chips as evenly as possible over the marshmallow layer.


This was followed by the coarsely crushed graham crackers.  Again, distributing it as evenly as possible.  The dish went back into the oven for 3 minutes until the chocolate chips were glossy and the marshmallow cream was set.  I then placed the dish on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into bars.


Who doesn't love a S'more or a brownie?  In this little bar, you've got both!  Enjoy!


S’more Bars

Crust:
14 whole graham cracker boards, crushed (2 ¼ cups crumbs)
3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, melted
Brownie:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter
3 eggs
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
Topping:
1 jar (7.5 ounces) marshmallow cream (about 1 ½ cups)
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup milk chocolate chips
3 whole graham cracker boards, broken up

Heat oven to 350°F. 
Crust:  Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt and melted butter in a small bowl until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.  Transfer the crumb mixture to a 9-x13-inch baking pan; press evenly over the bottom of the pan, pressing the crumbs evenly into the corners and along the sides of the pan.  Refrigerate the crust until chilled and set.
Brownie:  Combine the bittersweet chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe glass bowl or glass measuring cup.  Heat in a microwave oven on high until the chocolate and butter are melted, about 1 minute.  Stir mixture until smooth.  In a large bowl, with a hand-held electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together the eggs and sugar until well blended.  Reduce the speed to medium. While continuing to beat, gradually add the melted chocolate-butter mixture; beat until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally.  Stir the flour and salt into the egg mixture.  Then stir in the vanilla until smooth.  Scrape the brownie mixture into the crust-lined baking pan; smoothing the top level.  Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the center is set when gently pressed with fingertip.
Topping:  While the brownie layer is baking, whisk together the marshmallow cream and the milk in a small bowl until the mixture is well blended and smooth.  Pour over the brownie layer in the pan.  Spread or tilt the pan to cover the brownie layer completely.  Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the marshmallow layer.  Then scatter the crumbled graham crackers all over the top.  Bake at 350°F for 3 minutes or until the chocolate chips are glossy and the marshmallow topping is set.  Let cool in the pan on a wire rack.  Cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment