Friday, December 28, 2012

Smothered Chicken

This dish is a family favorite when combined with a Twice-Baked Potato (also shared here on my blog) and a green salad.  In fact, I received one of my favorite compliments from my oldest son the first time I made this meal.  After taking the first few bites, he said "This is why we don't eat out!"


This chicken takes hardly any time to prepare, which gives me more time to prepare a more involved side dish.  I found this recipe in my November/December 2002 issue of Quick Cooking and it was a family favorite from the first bite.  This dish gets 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.


After flattening a boneless, skinless chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness, I sprinkle each side with some garlic powder and seasoned salt.  Any type of seasoned salt can be used.  Or, if you're watching your salt intake, a salt-free product like Mrs. Dash can be substituted.


After placing the seasoned chicken in a skillet and cooking it over medium heat in a little oil for 4 minutes, I turn each piece and add the mushrooms.  We were having a guest for dinner this night and one piece of chicken did not get mushrooms, because my youngest son doesn't care for them.


I then topped each piece of chicken with the Mexican cheese blend (this is the pre-shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar blend without the spices), the crumbled bacon and chopped green onions.


I cover the skillet and let the chicken cook an additional 4 minutes, until fully cooked.


When finished, the juices run clear and the cheese has melted perfectly on top.


Again, I like to serve this chicken with a twice-baked potato and a green salad.  It's a colorful meal and a tasty one, too!


To me, this is comfort food, but it's also special enough to serve to guests!  Enjoy!



Smothered Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Garlic powder and seasoned salt to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (4.5 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup (4 oz) Mexican cheese blend (Monterey Jack and Cheddar)
½ cup chopped green onions
½ cup bacon bits

Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.  Sprinkle with seasonings on both sides.  In a large non-stick skillet on medium heat, brown chicken in oil for 4 minutes.  Turn chicken over; top with mushrooms, cheese, onions and bacon.  Cover and cook until chicken juices run clear, approximately 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment