Saturday, December 1, 2012

Kentucky Spoon Bread


This is another family favorite side dish at the holidays.  This is a cornbread that is completely prepared in one casserole dish and is so moist that it requires a spoon for serving.


I've had this recipe for about 30 years and my mother-in-law would call days before Thanksgiving to make sure I was bringing it with me when celebrating with her in the mountains.  A family friend, Bobbie Godsey, whom we attended church with and also was a neighbor, shared this recipe with me.  This dish gets 9's all around in my household and 10's from the rest of the family.  If you've ever had the cornbread at El Torito Restaurant, this dish is even better than that!


I begin by placing a stick of butter in my 2 qt. casserole dish and melting it in the microwave oven.


To the butter I add the canned corn, creamed corn and sour cream, mixing thoroughly to combine.


Then I add the slightly beaten eggs.  I add the eggs separately figuring the cold sour cream has cooled down the melted butter, so that the eggs won't begin to cook when I add them.


The last ingredient is the box of cornbread mix.  I stir this in until thoroughly combined.


It doesn't look very appetizing at this point, but the magic occurs in the oven where it gets baked at 350°F for 45 minutes.  If you are also making my Broccoli Supreme dish, it can be baked at the same time because they both cook for the same amount of time at the same temperature!


When it comes out of the oven, it should be piping hot and nicely browned on top.  It's ready to serve!


This tasty side dish is so easy to assemble and it brings a nice pop of color to the plate!  Enjoy!


Kentucky Spoon Bread

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 – 8 oz. container sour cream
1 – 8 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
1 – 8 oz. can creamed corn
1 pkg. Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350°F.  In a small casserole dish (about 1 ½ to 2 qt.), melt butter in a microwave oven.  Add all ingredients in order listed, mixing well.  Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  Serve hot with a spoon.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite holiday dishes growing up so I was thrilled to find it on your blog! I'm linking back here in a post on Wednesday about my Thanksgiving menu! :)

    ReplyDelete