Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tex-Mex Pasta

This dish is fairly easy to prepare, tastes great and can be on the table in under 45 minutes!  I found this recipe in one of those small pamphlets you see at the checkout stand while waiting to pay for your groceries.  Yes, the pamphlet was an impulse buy, but I got a couple of good recipes out of it and this was one of them.  Credit for the recipe was given to Karen Wetch of Santa Rosa, CA.  I thank you Karen for submitting this recipe for publication!


This colorful pasta dish is as appealing to the eye as it is to the taste buds!


After getting a pot of water on to boil, making sure I use a pot big enough to cook 1 pound of pasta, I begin preparing the rest of the dish.  This is another recipe where I like to use the Jenni-O Hot Italian Sausage.  The original recipe just called for Italian turkey sausage.  The Jenni-O sweet sausage is also good, I just prefer the hot sausage because it kicks up the flavor of any dish I use it in.  It comes in links, so I take the sausage out of the casings and put them in my large wok.  If you don't have a large wok or frying pan, a Dutch oven would be the best thing to use, because once you add the pasta, there is a lot of food in the pan!


I cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it apart frequently while I prepare the rest of the ingredients.  I also keep watch on the water so I can add the pasta as soon as the water is at a full boil.


In the meantime, I chop the onion and red bell pepper.  The original recipe called for 1 zucchini, chopped, but my guys decided some time ago that they don't like zucchini, so now I use my cheese grater and grate it so it isn't recognizable as zucchini.  None of them have asked yet what that "green stuff" is in this dish.  I think I have them fooled!


I stir in the fresh veggies that I just prepared, then add the frozen corn, salsa, canned tomatoes, and oregano.  You can use the salsa your family likes best and the heat level you prefer.  We like the Cha Chi's Pico de Gallo Salsa medium heat.  


It's already looking as good as it smells!  All of this gets cooked another 5 minutes, stirring often.


By this time, the pasta is completely cooked (according to package directions) and drained.  The pasta is then added to the mixture in the pan.


I sprinkle on the cheese and let it sit a couple of minutes to melt.


Fresh cilantro gets added to the top just before serving.  My youngest son's friend joined us for dinner, so there were five of us and there still was plenty left over.  I'd say this serves 8 people, but it's also great reheated the next day.  Enjoy!

Tex-Mex Pasta

16 oz. uncooked penne pasta
1 pkg. Jenni-O Hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, grated
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup salsa
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Cook penne pasta to desired doneness as directed on package.  Drain; cover to keep warm.  Meanwhile, spray nonstick wok or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.  Heat over medium-high heat until hot.  Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until no longer pink and thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently and breaking up meat as it cooks. Drain.  Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, corn, salsa, tomatoes and oregano; mix well.  Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add cooked penne pasta; toss to mix.  Top with cheese; let sit until cheese is melted.  Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment