Friday, May 18, 2012

Sun-Dried tomato Sausage with Penne


I found this recipe in a magazine where they were advertising Emeril's Sun-Dried Tomato Sausage.  I had never tried this kind of sausage before, and Emeril seems to make some pretty tasty looking dishes, so I cut it out and decided to give it a try.  It was a hit from the first time I made it and is one of my personal favorite dishes.  And, it gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.  In fact, my brother-in-law was coming for dinner, and wanting to impress him with something really tasty, I chose this as the main dish.  I paired it with my Leon Salad (recipe formerly posted) and some simple garlic bread.  I was pressed for time, so I apologize for not having preparation pictures.

The recipe was published in 2005 and for the first few years I was able to find the Emeril's brand sausages.  Now the only sun-dried tomato sausages I can find are Aidelle's brand.  If you can find Emeril's brand, I would suggest getting those as the flavor level is, shall I say it, kicked up a little more. BAM!  That doesn't mean these sausages are spicy, because they are not.  The flavor of the sun-dried tomatoes is the shining star.

Once I get the water on to boil, I begin slicing the sausages and add them to a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.  As I cut the onion and garlic, I add them to the pan.  I buy the jar of roasted red peppers strips so it takes less time to chop and then add that to the skillet, stirring occasionally.  Then I add the crushed red pepper flakes.  During this time I keep checking the water and when it comes to a full boil, I add the pasta and cook until al dente (about 11 minutes).  The pasta is usually done just about the time the sausage mixture is ready, so I drain it and add it to the skillet, tossing to combine.  (If your skillet isn't large enough to add the pasta and toss it, place your pasta in a serving dish and top with the sausage mixture.)  I place the combined mixture in my large pasta bowl, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and basil and it's ready to serve.

This recipe yields enough for 6 - 8 people, but re-heated leftovers are almost as good as fresh!  Enjoy!



Sun-Dried Tomato Sausage with Penne
  
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 links sun-dried tomato sausage, sliced
1 cup diced onion
1 lb. penne pasta
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 (12 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained and rough chopped
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½  cup grated fresh parmesan cheese


Cook penne in salted, boiling water until al dente.  Drain and keep warm.  While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet for 30 seconds.  Add sausage and cook, stirring until edges are browned, about 5 minutes.  Add onions and cook, stirring until browned, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, peppers, and red pepper flakes, stirring to blend for 30 seconds.  Pour sausage over warm pasta.  Sprinkle with basil and parmesan cheese.  You can drizzle extra 2 tablespoons olive oil on top if you wish, I usually omit this step

Serves 4 - 6

No comments:

Post a Comment