Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pizza Dogs

Make anything that resembles a pizza or has the flavors of a pizza and you're almost guaranteed that kids will like it.  I first tasted a Pizza Dog when I had my first job at a Hallmark store in a mall and went to Orange Julius on my break for lunch.  I was sold after eating my first one and decided I needed to recreate this dressed up hot dog at home.  This is a fairly quick thing to put together and it's another great recipe for feeding my family at two separate seating times.



The key to making the perfect Pizza Dog is in how the cheese gets melted.  I have tried several ways and found the best way is to steam the whole thing once assembled.  Orange Julius had a steaming machine they used, so I assumed that would be the best method.  It can be microwaved, which is the fastest way to do it, but I find this method makes the bun rubbery or chewy.  I've tried the oven, but this tends to dry out the bun.  When steamed, the bun gets warm as the cheese melts, but it doesn't change the texture.  I don't have a steamer, so I usually use a roaster heated to 350 degrees with about 1/2 inch of water on the bottom and a rack on which to place the container holding the dogs.


I get the hot dogs on the stove first, as it takes a few minutes for the water to boil.  I prefer using the bun-size dogs.


Then, I put the pizza sauce in a small saucepan to heat over low heat.  The best sauce I found was Ragu Pizza Quick Sauce in Traditional flavor.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that one in a while.  I haven't yet found one that matches it in flavor.


When the sauce is heated, I add about 1 tablespoon of sauce to the bottom of the buns.  Choosing what to put the buns on/in is important as you don't want the bun to totally split in half or for it to fall over spilling the cheese everywhere.  I picked something with sides to help keep the buns in place and chose one that would also fit in my roaster and not be affected by the steam heat.  When making these for lots of teenagers, I've used the cardboard holders from Smart & Final that usually are used to hold French fries at fast food restaurants.


Next, I add the hot dogs to the buns.


Then, I spread another 2 tablespoons of sauce on each hot dog.


Approximately 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese goes on next.


Then, I shake on a little dried oregano for a little extra flavor.


Finally, I add approximately 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese.

 

The dish then goes into the roaster for about 2 minutes to steam.  Once I forgot to put the lid on as I went back to building the next few dogs and discovered that the cheese doesn't melt without the lid on!


I don't really time them while they are steaming.  When I check them and they look like this, they are done and are ready to be served!


Doesn't that look like something you want to sink your teeth into?  When I need to make a lot at a time, I put them in a 9x13-inch dish and steam them in my 18-quart roaster.  Enjoy!


Pizza Dogs
1 pkg. hot dogs (8 dogs)
1 pkg. hot dog buns (8 buns)
1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
2 2/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
dried oregano to taste

Place the hot dogs in a medium saucepan over high heat to boil.  Once the water comes to a full boil, cook for 2 minutes.  In the meantime, place the pizza sauce in a small saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.  Prepare a roaster by putting a rack in it and heating 1/2 inch of water at 350 degrees.  Place the buns in a non-heat sensitive dish/pan with sides so that the buns will sit properly to add fillings, making sure the pan will fit in the roaster.  When sauce is heated, spoon 1 tablespoon into each bun.  Place a cooked hot dog in each bun and top with 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce.  Top each one with approximately 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese.  Shake a small amount of dried oregano, to taste, on top and add approximately 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese next.  Place the pan with the hot dogs in the roaster and replace the lid.  Steam for approximately 2 minutes.  Using a hot mit, remove the pan from the roaster (be careful as steam can burn!).  Remove Pizza Dogs to a serving platter or individual plates.  Best served piping hot!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmm. Good pics and tutorial. I loved pizza dogs when I was a kid in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete