Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Southwestern Rub

This post is a little different from others in the past, because it is for a rub (mixture of seasonings) which can be added to chicken, pork or beef.  I primarily use it on chicken, but wanted you to know you have options!


I found this rub in a magazine containing recipes for marinades, rubs and sauces which was being sold at the check-out stand in the market.  I always grill the meat I rub it on, so this seasoning combination is perfect to use in hot weather, when I don't want to heat my kitchen by using the oven.  This rub gets mostly 8's on the Melnarik rating scale.


In a small bowl, I begin by mixing all of the dry ingredients (chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper).


Then, I add the vegetable oil and diced garlic, mixing until thoroughly combined.


I rub this mixture on both sides of my chicken breasts, cover them with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  They should not be refrigerated any longer than 24 hours.


I grilled the chicken over medium heat for about 25 minutes, turning the chicken once during the cooking time.  That's all there is to it!  In order to keep the Southwestern flavor theme going with this meal, I made it this time with a Southwestern Caesar Salad and some Mission Baked Beans as side dishes.  Enjoy!

Southwestern Rub

1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped

Mix all ingredients.

Spread rub evenly on 1 pound boneless meat (chicken, pork, beef) or 2 ½ pounds ½-inch thick pork chops.  Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 24 hours.  Grill meat as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment