Tuesday, August 13, 2013

S'mores Bites

I've loved S'mores since the first one I had when I was a Girl Scout years ago.  I've tried a few recipes over the years that are supposed to replicate that wonderful combination of graham cracker, chocolate and marshmallow.  This is the closest to the original in flavor that I've found and it's not quite so messy.  The only difference is that the marshmallow isn't warm and gooey, but this version travels better!


I saw this recipe on Facebook a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be a perfect new treat to try out for our Annual Beach Trip.  In order to find the recipe when I needed it, I had to "share" it so it would be permanently on my timeline.  Unfortunately, I don't know who the original author was to give credit where it is due.  This new goodie was a major hit with our friends on the beach trip, neighbors and friends of my boys.  Yes, I made a double batch and plenty of people wanted to be taste testers!


To begin, I turned on the oven to 350°F to preheat it.  Then, in a medium bowl, I combined the graham cracker crumbs and the powdered sugar.  I used my mini food processor to make the crumbs, because I believe it does the best job of getting a fine crumb, but if you don't have one, place the graham crackers in a zip-lock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them thoroughly.


After melting the butter in the microwave (it can also be melted in a saucepan on the stove top), I added it to the graham cracker mixture and mixed thoroughly.


The resulting mixture was very moist, yet crumbly.


I did my best to evenly distribute the crumbs into a mini muffin tin.


Using two tools I have, first the tamper on the right to get the crumbs into the bottom of each cavity.  Then, the shaper on the left to make the shell form.  The original recipe said to use a fork, but I think clean fingers might work better.


They didn't look perfect, but they were ready to go into a preheated oven at 350°F for 5 minutes.  When they were done, they were bubbly around the edges.


While the shells were in the oven, I broke apart two of the Hershey bars into their individual rectangles.  I used Hershey bars because that is the traditional chocolate bar used in the original S'mores.  How convenient that each bar has 12 sections, so 2 bars provided the perfect amount for this step!  When I removed the muffin pan from the oven, I was surprised to see the graham cracker mixture had puffed up so the cup-like shell was no longer visible.  Once I had added the chocolate to each cup and they had cooled a little, the shape seemed to be returning to each cup.  The chocolate did begin to melt from sitting on top of the hot shells.


Using scissors that I dipped into ice water, I cut each regular size marshmallow in half crosswise and placed them cut-side down on top of the chocolate.  I dipped the scissors in the ice water before cutting each marshmallow.  This prevented them from becoming so sticky they would be useless.


Back into the oven at 350°F for another 3 minutes.  When they came out of the oven, they were nicely puffed and almost filled each cubby in the pan.


The original recipe called for melting the remaining chocolate and after the S'more Bites had cooled to dip each one in it.  This seemed like too much work to me, and would probably waste some of the chocolate.  So, while they were in the oven the last time, I broke up the last two chocolate bars and as soon as the cups came out of the oven, I placed one rectangle on each.  The hot marshmallow made the chocolate melt immediately, so I took a knife and gently spread the chocolate around a bit and tried to cover the top of the marshmallow.  Easy, peasy and no wasting chocolate!


After letting them cool in the pan for 15 minutes, they were easy to remove with a spoon to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.  A pretty easy way to take S'mores on the road!  Enjoy!


S’more Cups

7 whole graham crackers, finely crushed
¼ cup powdered sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
4 bars Hershey’s milk chocolate bars
12 large marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Finely crush graham crackers into crumbs.  Combine graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar in a small bowl.  Add melted butter and mix thoroughly.  Distribute crumbs in a 24-cup mini muffin pan; press to form shallow cups.  Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes or until edges are bubbling.

While the crust is in the oven, break two of the candy bars into rectangles.  Remove pan from oven; place one rectangle into each cup.  Cut marshmallows in half crosswise using scissors dipped in ice-cold water.  Place one marshmallow half, cut-side down, into each cup.  Return to oven for 3 minutes or until marshmallows are just slightly softened.  While in oven, break remaining candy bars into rectangles.  Remove pan from oven; immediately place one rectangle on top of each marshmallow.  Using a knife, gently spread melted chocolate over top of marshmallows.

Cool in pan for 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely.  Can be stored in an airtight container for 1 week (if they last that long).

No comments:

Post a Comment