Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Broccoli Cole Slaw

I'm always looking for recipes for side dishes that are just a little bit different.  I'd say this one definitely fits the bill.  It's a cole slaw that uses the broccoli slaw instead of cabbage and the "sauce" is oil & vinegar based instead of the usual creamy mayonnaise base.  Different isn't always bad.  In this case, it's very good!


I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com, which said the recipe was courtesy of Linda Fuller and Christine Lakhani.  Even though my husband prefers creamier cole slaws, he said he liked this one, too.  The rest of my guys gave it an 8 and 9 on the Melnarik rating scale.


I began by melting the butter in a large skillet over low-medium heat.  In the meantime, I removed the seasoning packets from the Ramen noodle packets and crushed the noodles.  When the butter was melted, I added the noodles and the slivered almonds to the skillet and sauted them until the almonds began to brown slightly.  I stirred them frequently, as the nuts can burn easily if left unattended for too long.


In a large bowl, I placed the broccoli slaw mix straight from the bag.  I added the almond/noodle mix and the sunflower seeds.  I tossed these ingredients together to mix thoroughly.



In a 2-cup measuring cup, I whisked together the canola oil, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and the seasoning packet from the Ramen noodles.


I added the dressing to the bowl and tossed everything together to combine.  I used the Chicken flavored Ramen this time, but other flavors can be used.  This night, I served it as a side dish with Barbecue Beef Sandwiches, which are cooked in a crock pot (I'll post this recipe later).  My oldest son added it to the sandwich as if it was a pulled pork sandwich and raved about it so much, I ate mine that way also!  Enjoy!


Broccoli Cole Slaw

2 packages (3 oz. each) Chicken ramen noodle soup
3.4 stick butter
¼ cup slivered almonds
2 bags (12 oz.) broccoli coleslaw
¼ cup sunflower seeds

Dressing Mix:
¾ cup canola oil
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 Chicken ramen noodle seasoning packet


Put the ramen noodles in a bog and crush them with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat.  Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and sauté, stirring occasionally.  Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.  Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds, and sunflower seeds.  Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.  Garnish with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment