Thursday, March 7, 2013

Turkey Soup

As I was going through pictures I've uploaded to my computer, I was surprised to discover that I had never shared this creamy soup recipe that is perfect for using leftover turkey at the holidays.


This satisfying soup is easy to prepare and doesn't take long to cook.  I think that a hearty soup is the perfect thing to serve on a cold, wintery day.  I found this recipe years ago in one of those small recipe books that are sold near the registers at the market.  This soup gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.


In my stock pot, I melt the butter and add the chopped onions and celery.  I cook the vegetables over medium heat until they are tender.


Once the onion and celery are tender, I add the carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.


In a cereal bowl, I combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, savory, and parsley flakes.  When all of the dry ingredients are mixed before adding them to the vegetables, it ensures they get more evenly distributed.


I add the flour and spice mixture to the vegetables, stirring to combine so the vegetables are coated.


I gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.  At this point, the mixture is very thick.


Then I add the turkey, stirring to combine.  I use a combination of white and dark meat that I've cut into  1/2-inch cubes.


As you can see above, the mixture is quite thick at this point.


I then add the turkey or chicken stock, which makes it look a lot more like soup!


I then cover and simmer the soup for 15 minutes.


The last ingredient I add is the frozen peas (yes, they get added in frozen form).  I put the lid back on and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.


Making this soup is a great way to use up leftover turkey, it doesn't take long to assemble or cook, and it will warm your innards (as my Irish mom would say) on a cold day! It's a win-win-win recipe!  Enjoy!



Creamy Turkey Soup

1 large onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, cut into ¼-inch pieces
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon savory
½ teaspoon parsley flakes
1 ½ cups milk
4 cups cubed, cooked turkey
5 mediums carrots, cut into 1/4 –inch pieces
3 cups turkey or chicken broth
1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas

In a stock pot, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender, about 10 minutes.  Stir in the flour and seasonings; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.  Add turkey and carrots.  Add enough broth; stir to combine.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add peas; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment