Thursday, March 7, 2013

Green Chile Chicken Chili

I love traditional chili.  I cook mine using ground turkey instead of beef to make it a little more healthy, and most people can't tell the difference.  For a change of pace, I decided to try something completely different.  Since we all love Green Enchiladas (previously posted), which uses a green chili enchilada sauce, I thought we also might like this chicken chili, which uses a salsa verde made with green chilies. I chose a night to make this chili when doing the preparations earlier in the day fit best with my schedule and was able to use my crock pot.


When I received my February/March issue of Taste of Home in the mail, there were many recipes I wanted to try immediately.  This was one of my top choices of what to try first.  The first time I made it, my pictures didn't come out very good, so I had to make it again to take new pictures for my blog.  Nobody complained!  This chili got all 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.


I began by placing the chicken breasts on the bottom of my crock pot.  The original recipe called for bone-in chicken breast halves and the cooking time was double the amount listed in the recipe below.  If you have the time for this chili to cook all day, I suggest using the chicken breast with the bone in.  The only difference in preparation besides keeping it in the crock pot longer is to discard the bones and any skin when shredding the chicken after it has fully cooked.


I added the chopped onions directly on top of the chicken.


Then I added the chopped bell peppers, green chilies and pickled jalapeños, which I drained before adding.


I completely covered everything with two jars of salsa verde.  I put the cover on and let it cook on low for 4 hours.  (If using chicken breasts with the bones, cook for 8 hours.)


After the cooking time was completed, I removed the chicken to a work board and shredded it using two forks.


I returned the shredded chicken to the crock pot and added the chopped cilantro.  These ingredients got stirred in to combine.



I then added the drained beans and sour cream, stirring to combine.  I replaced the cover and let the chili heat through for about 10 minutes.


To serve, I added some crushed tortilla chips a little Monterey Jack/cheddar cheese blend and a dollop of sour cream.  A different take on chili, but still very good!  Enjoy!



Green Chile Chicken Chili

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 cup pickled jalapeño slices
1 can (4 oz.)
2 jars (16 oz. each) salsa verdeñ
2 cans (15-1/2 oz. each) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
½ cup minced fresh cilantro
Optional toppings:
Shredded Monterey Jack/Cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Crushed tortilla chips

Place chicken, onions, peppers, jalapeños and chilies in a 5-or 6-qurart slow cooker.  Pour salsa over top.  Cover and cook on low for 3 – 4 hours or until chicken is tender.  Remove chicken; cool slightly.  Shred chicken with two forks; return meat to slow cooker.  Stir in the beans, sour cream and cilantro; heat through.  Serve with toppings of your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment