Sunday, March 10, 2013

Savory Biscuit Bubble Bread (Heart Shaped)

Every year on Valentine's Day I like to make a meal that incorporates hearts in some way.  This year, I made a Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pasta (posted above) with a heart-shaped cut out in the middle of the dish to let the red pasta sauce show through the melted mozzarella cheese on top.  Of course, that wasn't enough for me, so I decided to try this new bread recipe to accompany the casserole and baked it in a heart-shaped springform pan and served it on a heart-shaped plate.  


This bread is pretty simple to assemble and a tasty addition to any meal.  I found the recipe in one of the Pillsbury Bake-Off recipe books, which are sold near the check-out register at the market.  The Bake-Off books are filled with the best recipes from that event, which is held once a year.  This recipe got all 8's on the Melnarik rating scale.


I began by preheating my oven to 350ºF.   Then I generously greased my heart-shaped springform pan.  The recipe calls for a 12-cup fluted tube pan, so any bundt pan would work well.  Then, in a large bowl, I combined the Parmesan cheese, green bell pepper, and bacon, which I had prepared previously.  If you don't have regular bacon on hand, or don't have time to cook it for this recipe, you can use the precooked bacon, chopping it before adding it to the bowl.  The recipe also calls for some chopped onion, but I didn't have any that day and didn't have time to make a trip to the market.


I then opened the cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into 6 wedges, then added them to the bowl.  I tossed all of the ingredients until all of the pieces of biscuit were coated.


Next, I put the biscuits into my greased pan, making sure they came close to the edge, but leaving a little room because I knew they would rise.  Then I drizzled the melted butter over the top (sorry, no picture).  By the way, I learned a lesson when making this bread in a springform pan.  I should have only greased the bottom of the pan, because as the bread baked, the butter melted and ran through the seam at the edge of the pan and got all over the bottom of my oven.  What a mess!   If I had used a bundt pan, I wouldn't have had any trouble, but I don't own a heart-shaped one so I opted for the springform pan!  I placed it in the oven and baked it at 350ºF for 30 minutes.


Once out of the oven, I removed the side of the pan and inverted it onto my heart-shaped plate.  Believe me, it smelled even better than it looked!  Enjoy!



Savory Biscuit Bubble Bread

8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (or precooked bacon, chopped)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 (12 oz.) can Pillsbury biscuits
½ cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Generously grease 12-cup fluted tube pan.  In large bowl, combine bacon, Parmesan cheese, bell pepper and onion; mix well.  Separate dough into biscuits.  Cut each biscuit into 6 wedges; place in bowl with bacon-cheese mixture.  Toss to mix.  Arrange mixture in greased pan.  Drizzle with melted butter.  Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Immediately invert onto serving plate; remove pan.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment