Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Soft Tacos

This has got to be the most simple meal I've ever put together!  I utilizes a slow cooker, so the kitchen remains cool during the hot summer days, and it's a perfect go-to meal when my guys have crazy schedules and I'm feeding everyone at different times.


I found this recipe on Pinterest, but it originated at mychocolatetherapy.blogspot.com.  I guess the author likes more than just chocolate!  This is very similar to the Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos I posted recently, except that I don't even have to get an extra bowl dirty mixing the sauce.  This recipe got 8s and 9s on the Melnarik rating scale.


The first time I try a new recipe, I usually make it exactly as written, unless there is an ingredient I know my family doesn't care for (i.e. I always omit olives).  In this case, the author suggested Newman's Own brand salsa.  The jar lid indicates this is a medium salsa, but we all felt as though it could use a little more heat, so next time, I will use a different brand which will give me our desired heat level.  I used the Lawry's brand taco seasoning, as that is our favorite. 


You're not going to believe how easy this is:  In the bottom of my crock pot, I dumped the jar of salsa and the packet of taco seasoning.


Using a spoontula, I mixed those two ingredients together.  


Then I added the chicken, stirring as I added each breast to make sure they all were covered in the sauce.


After cooking them on high for 4 hours (they can also be cooked on low for 8 hours), they were completely cooked and the sauce was a bit thinner.


I removed the chicken to a cutting board, where I shredded it using two forks.


As I shredded each breast, I returned it to the crock pot.


Once I stirred the shredded chicken back into the sauce, it was ready to be built into soft tacos.


Using flour tortillas, I added some of the chicken, then topped it with shredded medium cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes.  Sour cream and guacamole can also be added, if desired.  These are tasty soft tacos that are so simple to make and there was a enough chicken left over for another evening meal, plus a couple of lunches!  Enjoy!

Crock Pot Chicken Soft Tacos

1pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 lbs.)

In a 4 qt. crock pot, combine taco seasoning mix and salsa.  Add chicken, turning in sauce so all pieces are coated. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.  Using 2 forks, shred chicken and stir into sauce.  Serve on tortillas with toppings of your choice.

Suggested toppings:
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
guacamole
sour cream

1 comment:

  1. This sounds divine! I'm always on the look out for new ways to prepare chicken and this sounds great! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete