Saturday, October 27, 2012

Taco Cornbread Squares

I know when my boys were younger, if I tried a new recipe that would in any way taste like tacos, it was sure to please.  This is one of those recipes.  I hadn't made this dish in quite some time, but as my guys gobbled it up they were raving about it.


This casserole really makes a pretty presentation with all of the vivid colors.  I got this recipe from a co-worker years ago and my guys liked it from the first time I made it.  Back then, I wasn't asking them to rate new recipes, but now this dish gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.


I begin by putting the ground beef and chopped onion in pan and cooking then until the meat is browned and the onions soft and translucent.


While that is cooking, I begin to prepare the cornbread for the first layer of the casserole.  In a medium bowl, I combine the milk and the egg, stirring to break up the egg yolk.


I add the cornbread mix to that and stir to combine.


This cornbread mixture gets poured into a greased 9-inch square pan and is put in the oven to bake at 350° for 15 minutes.


While the cornbread is in the oven and once the meat and onions are cooked, I drain off the fat.  Then I add the taco seasoning, mixing thoroughly to combine.


To the meat mixture I add the refried beans, mixing thoroughly.  Once combined, I let that simmer until the cornbread is ready to come out of the oven.


In the meantime, I put the sour cream in a medium bowl.


To the sour cream, I add 1 cup of the shredded cheese, mixing well to combine.


When the cornbread comes out the oven, it should not be browned yet as it will be going back into the oven again.  However, it should be fully baked so that it's ready to take the next layers.


The meat mixture gets spread directly on top of the cornbread layer.  I apologize, I must have forgotten to take a picture of the next layer, which is the sour cream and cheese layer.  This goes on next and the dish gets put back in the oven for an additional 20 to 25 minutes until it is heated through and the cheese is melted.


When the casserole comes out of the oven, it's ready to dress with the remaining cheese, shredded lettuce and tomatoes.  If one of my boys has a friend join us for dinner, I add the toppings directly to the casserole assuming the entire thing will be eaten at the one sitting.  But, if I expect leftovers, we apply the toppings to each individual serving so that the casserole can be reheated in the microwave and the toppings added later.  Enjoy!


Taco Cornbread Squares

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 package (8.5 oz.) cornbread/muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 can (1 lb.) refried beans
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
1-1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup shredded lettuce

Preheat oven to 350°.  In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain.  In the meantime, in a medium bowl, combine the cornbread mix, egg and milk.  Spread in a greased 9-inch square baking pan.  Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.  Once the meat is cooked and drained, add the taco seasoning and mix well.  Add the refried beans and mix well.  Spread over cornbread.  Combine sour cream with 1 cup of cheese; spread over meat mixture.  Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.  Top with remaining cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment