Monday, August 13, 2012

Stromboli






This sandwich is one of the most amazing things I make, according to some people.  I've made it every year, except one, for our annual beach trip.  The one year I didn't bring it, thinking people were getting tired of the same thing every year, people were freaking out.  They couldn't believe I would even consider not bringing Stromboli to the beach!  I got the message loud and clear.  My oldest son told me this year, when I asked him what he'd like me to take to the beach this year, that as long as I brought Stromboli and Trail Balls (previous post) he'd be happy!


After letting it cool completely, I have to cut the sandwich in half to make it fit in Tupperware to take to the beach.  I keep it in the cooler until we're about ready to eat, then I take it out and let it sit in the sun for about 15 minutes to take the chill off.  I cut it into thin strips, about an inch wide, and serve it to my family and friends.  There are people who've gotten upset in the past if they've been away from the group when I'm serving the Stromboli and haven't gotten a piece.  Yes, it's that good!


One thing that makes this sandwich a little easier to prepare is that it uses Bridgford frozen dough, so I don't have to make my own!  The package contains 3 - 1 pound loaves and this recipe calls for 2 loaves.  Because this sandwich is so popular among our friends, I've started using the third loaf to make another half-size sandwich.  I begin by putting the frozen bread dough in a bowl as I go to bed to let it defrost and rise over night.


When I go to the kitchen the next morning, it has risen nicely and it's ready to use.  I won't talk about what my youngest son thinks the dough looks like at this point!  


I punch the dough down to get the air out of it.


I used to take the dough from the bowl and put it on a lightly floured surface to begin working with it, but as I rolled it, because it has a lot of elasticity, it didn't want to retain it's shape.  If I used less flour, then it stuck to the surface and it was hard to work with when I had to pull the top side over the filling and to try to move it to the baking sheet.  Along the way, I got smart and decided to roll it out on the Reynold's Non-stick Aluminum Foil.  By the way, I love this product.  In this case, the dough stays put as I roll it out, yet it doesn't stick when I have to move it in any way.  Later, I'll explain another benefit to using the foil.


I still use a little flour, but only on the top so the rolling pin doesn't stick to the dough.


I roll the dough out into a large rectangle, measuring it to my baking sheet to make sure it will fit.



Then the layering begins.  I begin with the deli ham (left) followed by the pepperoni (right).


Then I add the diced onion and bell pepper (left) and drizzle on some pizza sauce (right).



The next layer is some sliced mozzarella cheese (left), followed by some bologna (right).

Then I add a layer of sliced dry salami (left), followed by a layer of sliced Swiss cheese (right).


Then, I add a some basil, oregano, and garlic powder on top of the cheese (left).  Instead of drizzling more pizza sauce on top of this, I spread it on the "top" portion of the bread to make sure it's evenly distributed in each bite (right).



This is where working on the non-stick foil is helpful.  The next step is to pull the "top" side of the bread over the filling, being careful to not cause any holes to form in the dough.


Then I pinch the dough together with the "bottom" portion of the dough to seal it shut.


I fold up the sides of the foil to create sides in case I didn't do a superior job of sealing the bread on the last step and some juices escape.  As you can see, it doesn't quite fit on my baking pan, even at an angle, so I don't want any juices dripping on the bottom of the oven and making a mess!  Also, having it on the foil makes it easier to transfer it to the baking sheet and it can be repositioned easily this way. 

 

While the Stromboli is in the oven, I prepare my cooling area.  I'm always making this sandwich in the morning of the day we leave for our beach trip and I can't pack up the Stromboli until it is completely cool, so I raise my cooling rack on some inverted cups allowing for more air circulation around the sandwich so it cools more quickly.  This sandwich is pretty dense, so it takes some time to cool completely.


The house smells so good as this is cooking!  When it comes out of the oven it is a beautiful golden brown.  I put it on the cooling rack for a minute while still on the baking sheet.


Then I brush a little bit of butter on top and take it off the baking sheet.  After about 5 minutes, I unfold one side of the foil and because of it's non-stick surface, it's easy to just slide the Stromboli off the foil onto the cooling rack to cool completely.

I cool this sandwich down to pack for our trip, but it can also be served warm with a little extra pizza sauce that has been heated for dipping.  I've done this before for a party and it's excellent served that way also.  Either way, this sandwich is a real treat and worth the time it takes to put it together.  Everyone who's ever tasted it can agree on that!  Enjoy!


Stromboli

2 loaves (1-lb. each) frozen bread dough, thawed*
flour for rolling out dough
¼ pound sliced ham
¼ pound sliced pepperoni
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
14 oz jar pizza sauce, divided
¼ pound sliced mozzarella cheese
¼ pound sliced bologna
¼ pound sliced dry salami
¼ pound sliced Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Place the bread dough in a large bowl to thaw.  It will take several hours for this to occur.  After it is thawed, let it rise in a warm place until doubled.  Punch down dough and place on a lightly floured work surface.  Roll loaves together into one 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle.  This will be the hardest step of the whole process as the dough has elasticity you will be dealing with.  As you prepare to add all of the meats and cheeses, keep in mind that you will be placing them along the long side of this rectangle on half of the dough and the other half will be folded over on top of these filling items before baking.  Make sure you leave ¼-in. edge for pinching the two sides together.  Now begin layering, starting with the ham and pepperoni.  Sprinkle with onion and green pepper.   Drizzle with ¼ cup of pizza sauce.  Layer mozzarella, bologna, salami and Swiss cheese over sauce layer.  Sprinkle with basil, oregano, garlic powder and pepper.  Spread the remaining ¼ cup of pizza sauce on the lid or top side of the bread.  Fold this side of the bread over the filling and seal edges well.  Place on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan.  Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.  Heat the remaining pizza sauce for dipping and serve with sliced Stromboli.  Enjoy!

*I use Bridgeford brand frozen bread dough

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for using our product, Liza! Your Stromboli looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete