Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pizza Grilled Cheese

One evening I needed to throw together dinner really fast so I turned to this recipe I found on Pinterest.    It originated at thewaytoaheart.tumblr.com and after I pinned it to my board, a friend repinned it and tried it immediately.  She let me know that it was super simple to put together and her family loved it.  It was the first thing I thought of on my super busy day.


I didn't know if my youngest son was going to make it home in time to eat with us, so I made up three sandwiches just in case.  He eventually ate at a friend's house, so I refrigerated the third sandwich and my oldest son ate it later.  He heated it in the microwave, which made the bread more soft than it was when grilled, so I would suggest if reheating this sandwich to put it back on a griddle and reheat it over very low heat so as to keep the crunch on the bread.


I began by placing six slices of bread on my griddle and buttering the top slices of bread.  I then flipped them over so the buttered side was laying on the griddle.


I "opened" the sandwiches in order to add the filling.  The first of which was a slice of mozzarella cheese.


The original recipe didn't call for it, but I sprinkled some dry oregano leaves on next.  It did say that some parmesan cheese could be added at this point, but I didn't have any on hand, so I omitted that.


I followed that up with a layer of pepperoni.


Then I added another slice of mozzarella cheese.


The original recipe indicated that the finished sandwich could be dipped in pizza sauce, but I would have felt I needed to heat it first and that was another step I didn't have time for, so I decided to spread it on the top slice of the bread, so we could enjoy the flavor in every bite.


I then turned the pizza sauce side of the bread over so it was on top of the mozzarella and buttered the top of the sandwich.


I find that cooking grilled cheese is always best over a low heat, turning when the first side is toasty and brown.


Once the other side is toasted, it's ready to cut and serve.  This is a pretty tasty little sandwich that takes hardly any time to put together and kids of all ages will like it (my friend who made it first has twin girls who are almost 2 yrs. old and they liked it).  Enjoy!

Pizza Grilled Cheese

2 slices of bread
butter 
2 sliced mozzarella cheese
dried oregano
9 pepperoni slices
pizza sauce

Place bread on griddle; butter top slice of bread.  Flip bread so buttered side is against griddle.  Set aside unbuttered piece of bread.  Layer on top of buttered bread, 1 slice of mozzarella cheese, oregano, pepperoni, 1 slice of mozzarella.  Spread pizza sauce on unbuttered slice of bread and place sauce side down on top of mozzarella.  Butter plain side of bread.  Cook over low heat until bottom piece of bread is toasty and brown, checking frequently for doneness.  Flip entire sandwich and repeat on other side, removing from griddle when second side is toasty and browned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment