Sunday, August 19, 2012

Puff Peach Cobbler

If I ever need a dessert that I can put together in about half an hour, this is one recipe I turn to.  Except for the canned peaches, I always have all of the other ingredients on hand.  This dessert is super simple to put together, and because it's best served warm with vanilla ice cream, it's ready to serve as soon as it comes out of the oven.


In this case, I was baking this dessert to go with my husband for a bake sale they were having at his work, so I used a disposable foil pan that came with a plastic cover for easy transport.  Apparently, most people made brownies or cookies, so this was one of the first items sold.  I put a note on the lid saying it was best reheated and served ala mode.  My sister gave me this recipe years ago telling me how simple yet tasty it was.


I begin by draining the peaches.  I like to collect the liquid in a measuring cup, as I need to reserve 1/2 cup of this to use in the recipe.  The rest of the syrup can be discarded or saved for another use.


While the peaches are draining, in a medium saucepan, I combine the brown sugar and lemon juice.  To this I add the 1/2 cup of drained syrup and bring it to a boil.


As soon as it boils, I remove the pan from the heat and add the drained peaches, tossing to coat the fruit.


In a medium bowl, I combine the Bisquick and sugar, stirring to combine and breaking up any large lumps.


I add the milk, and stir to combine.  The result is a sticky dough.


I spread the dough in an 8- x 8-inch or 9- x 9-inch baking pan.


The peach mixture gets poured on top of the dough.  I usually spread them out a little to make sure they cover all of the dough.


Then I place dots of butter on top.  As you can see, the peaches are still hot enough that the butter begins to melt as I'm adding it.


The last step is to sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture over the top.  There is no amount listed as this is to taste.  I always have cinnamon sugar in my cupboard, but if I want it to be a little richer, I combine some cinnamon with some brown sugar.  Again, it should be added to your liking.


Into the oven it goes for a mere 20 minutes.  When it comes out, it is bubbly and smells heavenly.  It's ready to be served immediately, preferable with vanilla ice cream, or save it for later and serve it at room temperature or reheat it just before serving.  Either way, this is a yummy desert that friends will think it took you hours to make.  Enjoy!


Peach Puff Cobbler

1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) peach slices
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup Bisquick biscuit mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
2 tablespoons butter
Cinnamon sugar mix

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Drain peaches, reserving 1/2 cup syrup.  In a medium saucepan, heat lemon juice, brown sugar and reserved syrup; bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add drained peaches, tossing to coat.  In a medium bowl, combine biscuit mix and sugar.  Add milk and combine to make dough.  Spread in a 8- x 8-inch or 9- x 9-inch baking pan.  Pour hot peach mixture over dough.  Dot with butter.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.  Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.  Best served hot or warm with vanilla ice cream, but can also be served cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment