Friday, November 9, 2012

Mexican Chicken Soup

The weather has been crazy lately.  We think it's finally fall because the temperatures are down to a reasonable level, then a few days later we have 90 degree days again.  We had some rain and some cool days this week, so I figured that meant it was time to break out the soup recipes.


This Mexican Chicken Soup (some may call it a tortilla soup because there are tortillas in the soup plus crushed tortilla chips on top) is pretty tasty and it warms me from the inside out on a cold day.   This recipe originated in the Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook.  The original recipe told how to roast chicken breasts to be added to this soup, but I substituted the breasts with the meat from a whole rotisserie chicken.  This saves on preparation time and the combination of white and dark meat gives this dish more flavor.  This soup gets 8's all around on the Melnarik rating scale.


I begin by placing the onions, carrots and celery in a Dutch oven and drizzle them with olive oil.  I cook these vegetables over medium heat until the onions are translucent.


Then, I add the garlic, stir it in and cook for an additional minute.


Next, I add the dry spices.  I didn't realize that the steam was a problem in getting a clear shot.  I guess I should have paid attention and taken a second shot.  The spices are at about 1 o'clock in this picture, in case you were wondering.


The next ingredient I add is the jalapeno peppers.


The peppers are followed by the can of crushed tomatoes.


It was hard to get a picture showing the chicken stock being added.  This picture makes it look more like tomato soup!  Trust me, this is where I added the chicken stock.


Then I added the fresh cilantro.  I also increased the heat to high here to begin to bring the soup to a boil.


The corn tortilla strips were added next.  You can tell by the froth that it won't be long until this soup is boiling.   Once it comes to a boil, I lower the heat and let it simmer for 25 minutes.


After simmering, I add the chicken and stir to combine.  I let it simmer for another couple of minutes to let the chicken heat through.  This makes a full Dutch oven of soup, so there's plenty for leftovers, to freeze or to share with friends.


The soup is ready to serve.  As you can see, there is plenty of chicken; enough to get some in each bite!  In fact, I let our neighbors have some and they commented on how great it was to have a nice amount of chicken in the soup.


I like to top mine with crushed tortilla chips first.


Then, some shredded Mexican blend cheese (Monterey Jack and Cheddar).


And I top the cheese with a dollop of sour cream and some avocado slices.  I think I'm going to borrow the old Campbell's slogan here and say Mmmm Mmmm Good!  Enjoy!


Mexican Chicken Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups brown onions, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
2 cups carrots, sliced
4 large garlic cloves, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
1 rotosserie chicken, meat removed from bones and shredded
Toppings:
sliced avocado
sour cream
grated Mexican blend cheese (Monterey Jack and Cheddar)
tortilla chips

In a Dutch oven, cook onions, celery, and carrots in olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.  Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.  Add the cumin and coriander; stir to mix thoroughly.  Add the crushed tomatoes; stir.  Add the chicken stock and cilantro; stir.  Increase heat to high.  Cut the tortillas in half, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and add to the soup; stir.  Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.    Add the chicken; stir to combine.  Heat through.  Serve the soup hot, topped with sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese, and broken tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment