Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

I know that in the fall, most people pull out their favorite pumpkin recipes for dessert and I certainly have a couple of favorites in that category, but I also love to make desserts with apples in them.  I only discovered this recipe a couple of months ago, but I've already made it a few of times and everyone who tastes it really enjoys it.  I also love caramel apples, so trying a new recipe with caramel apple in the name is not a stretch for me!


I found this recipe on Pinterest, but it originated at thegirlwhoateeverything.com.  With this being a cheesecake-type bar, I've always served it cold, but last night I was taking it to a gathering and it hadn't even cooled yet, much less had time in the refrigerator to get cold.  I couldn't believe how quickly these bars were devoured and how much everyone liked them warm!  Now I know they're great at any temperature!


In a medium bowl, I combine the flour and brown sugar.


I then add 2 sticks of butter and, using a pastry blender, work it into the flour mixture.


Unlike a lot of doughs where the butter is cut into the dry ingredients to get a crumbly mixture, this one is more soft and mixed together.  The original recipe says to get it to the point of being "crumbly, kinda."  If it looks like the photo above, you've gotten it right.


This mixture then gets pressed into a 9- x 13-inch baking dish and then gets baked in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.


In the meantime, in a medium bowl, I beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.


To that, I add the eggs, one at a time, beating with a hand mixer for about 20 seconds after adding each egg.  Then I add the vanilla and mix again until combined.  Don't mix any longer than that as it will lead to excess air being incorporated into the batter and may cause cracking while baking.


This recipe calls for Golden Delicious apples because of their soft texture.  After making this dessert several times, once using red apples, I prefer the Golden Delicious in this dessert.  The red apples added a crunch to these bars that I didn't care for.  Also, the original recipe called for cutting the apples into 3/4-inch chunks.  I cut them into about 3/4-inch by 1/4-inch chunks so there were more pieces to evenly distribute in the dish.


After placing the apple pieces in a small bowl, I tossed them with the cinnamon sugar mixture until all of the pieces were evenly coated.


By this time, the crust is out of the oven, so I pour the cream cheese mixture directly on top of the crust, making sure it is covered to the edge.  


Then I add the apple pieces, trying to get them as evenly distributed as possible.


In a medium bowl, I mix together the flour, brown sugar, and oats.


To this mixture I add a stick of butter and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until a crumbly texture.  Yes, this time it will actually be crumbly!


I sprinkle it on top of the apple layer and put it in the oven for 30 minutes.  It should be baked at 350°F for the first 25 minutes, then lower the temperature to 300°F for the final 5 minutes.


Just before serving, I drizzle the caramel sauce on top.  I usually have some extra caramel sauce on the side in case anyone feels the need for more.  I think the name fits perfectly. They certainly have the caramel apple flavor, and they have the cheesecake element, yet they are cut into bars.  To me, they're near perfection!  Enjoy!


Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 – 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
½ cup granulated white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 large Golden Delicious apples
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. granulated white sugar
½ cup oatmeal
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup caramel topping


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar . Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or a fork) until the mixture is crumbly, kinda.
3. With your fingertips, press the dough evenly into a 13 × 9-inch baking pan or a cookie sheet with edges. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
4. In the meantime, in a larger bowl, beat the cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar until smooth (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time (beat about 20 seconds after each addition). Next add the vanilla and mix until combined.  Make sure not to over-beat the cheesecake batter as this will lead to excess air being incorporated in and may cause cracking later on.
5. Pour the cream cheese batter over the warm crust.
6. Peel the apples and chop them into small pieces.  Mix the apple chunks with the cinnamon and white sugar.
7. Spoon the apple chunks evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
8. In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, oats , and brown sugar for crumb topping. Cube the butter and using a pastry blender (or a fork), create a crumbly mixture.
10. Bake 30 minutes, or until the filling is set. Reduce the temperature to 300°F for the last 5 minutes.
11. Cut into bars and drizzle with the caramel topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment