Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pumpkin Squares

I didn't grow up eating pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.  My parents are Irish and, for the most part, we ate the way my mom was taught to cook.  I think I first tasted pumpkin pie when I was dating my husband and I celebrated Thanksgiving with his family.  I didn't care for it.  In fact, for a while, I avoided anything pumpkin because of my impression of pumpkin pie.  Until I tasted this dessert!


When I worked at an international accounting firm over 20 years ago, a coworker, Jackie Stone, brought this dessert to a Thanksgiving potluck and I was hooked at the first bite.  I didn't know anything with pumpkin could taste that good!  I immediately requested a copy of the recipe and it has been one of our choices for dessert on Thanksgiving ever since.  When we used to celebrate with my mother-in-law in the mountains, she would always call a couple of days in advance to make sure I was bringing Pumpkins Squares with me.


I begin by getting out three bowls, one large, one medium, and one small.  In the medium bowl, I place the dry yellow cake mix.  Using a measuring cup, I remove 1 cup of this mix and place it in the small bowl.  To the medium bowl, I add one egg and the melted butter, stirring to combine.


The mixture is soft at this point.  I let it sit while I turn my attention to the medium bowl.


In the medium bowl, to the canned pumpkin (solid packed pumpkin only, not the pumpkin pie mix) I add the eggs, brown sugar, evaporated milk and pumpkin pie spice.  I mix this thoroughly using either a spoon, spatula or hand-held mixer.


When the pumpkin mixture is thoroughly combined, I return to the cake mixture.  It stir it again, in case I've missed any lumps of dry cake mix.  By letting it sit while I prepared the pumpkin layer, the mixture has become more stiff (compare with the previous picture).  This makes it much easier to get it into the prepared pan.


I grease the pan using butter, although a non-stick spray may also be used.  When baking, I prefer the taste of the butter when greasing a baking pan.  Then I add the cake mixture.


Using a rubber spatula, I press the dough into the pan as evenly as possible.


Then I pour the pumpkin mixture from the large bowl on top of the cake layer, making sure it gets into the corners and the whole thing is level.


To the reserved cup of cake mix in the small bowl, I add the sugar and cinnamon, mixing thoroughly.


I then cut the butter into that mixture.


Using my hand, I sprinkle this topping mixture over the top of the pumpkin layer, making sure it covers to the edges.


I then place the baking dish in the oven and bake it at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes.  About 1/2 hour into the baking time, the house begins to smell heavenly.  If someone walked in the door about that time, they'd probably put in an offer on the house if they thought it would always have that home-baking aroma!  If it could be bottled, it would be a big seller.


I usually serve this dessert with a dollop of Cool Whip or whipped cream.  We really look forward to this dessert each year on Thanksgiving.   Enjoy!


Pumpkin Squares
  
Crust
1 box yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup for topping)
½ cup butter or margarine (melted)
1 egg

Filling
15 oz.  can solid pack pumpkin
2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup evaporated milk

Topping
1 cup reserved yellow cake mix
¼ cup butter or margarine
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease bottom only of a 9x13-inch baking dish.  Reserve 1 cup cake mix for topping in a small bowl.  In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix, melted butter and egg.  Press into bottom of baking dish.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, eggs and milk.  Pour over crust.

In the small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar into 1 cup reserved cake mix.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of pumpkin mixture.  Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

I serve with Cool Whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment