Thursday, November 29, 2012

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

This dessert is a staple for our family at the holidays.  In fact, if it isn't one of the choices for dessert on any given holiday, there can be hayhem!  This dish is fairly easy to put together and the best part is that it has to be assembled the day prior to serving!  This means no effort, other than cutting and serving, on the day of the event!


I got this recipe before I was married from a friend's mother, Bobbie Godsey, who attended the church I grew up in and also lived down the street.  It was originally called Chocolate Eclair Cake, but it really isn't anything like a cake, so I renamed it years ago.  I've taken this dessert to countless functions, where  it gets rave reviews.  Someone recently told me I should be selling this dessert to restaurants as he thought it was better than anything he's ordered in the past and he eats out a lot!


After greasing my 9-x13-inch baking dish with butter (you can use non-stick spray also), I placed a layer of graham crackers in the bottom.  It's hard to tell in this photo, but my dish has rounded corners, so using a very sharp knife, I slightly rounded the corners of the crackers that sat in the corners.


In a large bowl, I mixed together the milk and the pudding mix using a whisk until it was smooth, and slightly thickened.  It's important to purchase the French Vanilla pudding for this recipe to achieve the perfect flavor.



I then folded in about half of the thawed Cool Whip.  It's important to fold in the whipped topping to give it a light texture.


Then, I folded in the rest of the Cool Whip.  I've found that when I fold in half at a time, it's easier to combine everything while retaining the volume.


I added about half of the pudding mixture to the top of the graham crackers in the baking dish.  I spread this out into a nice, somewhat smooth and even layer.  It's important to get it as level as possible, because there will be two more layers of graham crackers added and the dessert shouldn't be higher at one side.


Next, I added the second layer of graham crackers, again cutting the crackers that will fit into the corners.


Then I added the rest of the pudding mixture, again spreading evenly and smoothly.  As you can see from the picture, I used my off-set spatula to spread the mixture as I find it easier to get it into the corners and make the whole thing smooth.


The final layer of graham crackers was next.  Because the dish is a bit wider at the top than at the bottom, it requires some more cutting to completely cover the last layer.  It's important to make sure the pudding mixture is completely covered because the final layer is the chocolate, which needs to "stick" to the graham crackers to allow it to be cut easily when serving.  You also want to make sure all the crackers on this layers are perfectly level.  If they aren't it will show once you apply the chocolate.


From this photo, you can see how much I cut to round the corner of the cracker to fit perfectly into the pan.  Again, I was aiming at getting complete coverage.


To make the chocolate layer, I began by melting 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat.


In the meantime, in a medium bowl, with the back of a table spoon, I began working the softened butter into the powdered sugar.  It will not be thoroughly combined before you need to add some liquid to aid in the process.


I added the syrup next.  This makes it easier to combine everything and begins to give the mixture a glossy finish.


As the chocolate was melting, I stirred it occasionally, so it didn't burn. 


Once the chocolate was melted, I added it to the first three ingredients, which were well combined and smooth.


After the chocolate was added, the mixture looked grainy.  Do not worry, this is normal.  After adding one tablespoon of the milk, the smooth texture returned.


I then added the second tablespoon of milk.  Adding each tablespoon one at a time makes it easier to work it into the chocolate mixture.  I hadn't made this dessert in years because someone else in the family usually brings it to our family holiday celebrations, but I wanted to add the recipe to my blog, so I made it for a different function just before Thanksgiving.  


It looks good in the photo above, right?  At this point, after the second tablespoon of milk, I thought that it was perfect and chose not to add the final tablespoon.  It wasn't until I applied it to the top layer of graham crackers that I realized I was wrong and should have included all of the milk the recipe called for.  (Don't do what I did, do what I say to do!)  When you stir it in the bowl, within a few seconds, all of the stir marks should disappear.  But this will only happen after all of the milk has been incorporated.


As you can see from the photo above, there are spreading marks.  The chocolate should be more runny and end up very smooth looking.  Picture the chocolate on and eclair pastry.  Ahh, thus the name of the dessert!  The next time I make this dessert, I will add a picture of how it should look.  I won't make the same mistake twice!


No matter what it looks like, this dessert is still a rich treat!  Enjoy!



Chocolate Éclair Dessert

2 pkg. (3.5 oz.) French Vanilla instant pudding
3 cups milk
1 carton (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed
1 box Graham crackers
2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
2 Tbsp. white Karo syrup
3 Tbsp. softened butter
3 Tbsp. milk
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish (I use butter).  Line the bottom of the dish with one layer of graham crackers, trimming to fit.  In a large bowl, mix pudding with milk; fold in Cool Whip.  Spread half of pudding mixture on graham crackers.  Top with another layer of graham crackers, trimming to fit.  Spread remaining pudding mixture on top of second layer of graham crackers.  Add a final layer of graham crackers, trimming to fit.  By hand, mix together the remaining ingredients and spread on top layer of graham crackers.  Refrigerate 24 hrs. before serving.  Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment