Saturday, November 3, 2012

Snickers Caramel Apple Dessert

I know this dish doesn't look like much in the picture, but it's actually quite good.  Most people like to make recipes with pumpkin in the fall, but I also think of apples this time of year.  I've also always loved caramel apples, so that's why this dessert is a winner with me!


My friend, Lori Duncan, found this recipe on Pinterest and served it at a luncheon she held for a few of her friends.  It was originally called a salad, but I think it should be categorized as a dessert, so I changed the name.  It originated at chef-in-training.com.


Following the original recipe, in a large bowl, I combined the Cool Whip, dry pudding mix and milk using a whisk.  I think the Cool Whip got broken down a bit too much, so next time, I will combine the pudding mix with the milk first, then fold in the Cool Whip.


This is where a good, sharp knife is a necessity.  I cut the Snickers bars in half lengthwise, then cut the two pieces in thin slices.  This was a little more work than I expected it to be as a Snickers bar is quite dense.


I added the Snickers bar pieces to the pudding mixture and folded them together.


After washing the red apples, I cut them into pieces that were approximately the same size as the Snickers bars.  I think next time I will cut them a bit larger.


I added them to the mixture and folded them in to combine.


The original recipe called for apples, stating that the author had used red apples.  I followed Lori's suggestion and used three each of green and red apples to add a little tartness.  After cutting the green apples in the same manner, I folded them into the mix.


I transferred the dessert to a serving bowl and drizzled on the caramel topping.  When serving this dessert, I had some caramel sauce on the side for those who got the dessert from the bottom of the bowl where there was no caramel.  Enjoy!


Snickers Caramel Apple Dessert

6 regular size Snickers bars
6 apples (I used 3 red and 3 green)
1 (5 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup milk
1 tub (12 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping

In a large bowl, combine pudding and milk; fold in Cool Whip.  Cut Snickers bars in half lengthwise and then into small slices; add to pudding mix.  Core and cut apples into bite-size pieces; fold into pudding mix.  Drizzle with caramel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment