Saturday, November 3, 2012

Kodiak Casserole

This is a casserole I've made for my family for years.  This recipe makes enough that I can freeze half of it for a later use.  I usually make it in the fall some time so if there is a need for a meal and I don't have time to cook, all I have to do is pull this one from the freezer.


I found this recipe on a flier included in my Taste of Home magazine many years ago.  My boys have always loved the flavor of this casserole, especially with the barbecue sauce and who doesn't love the melted cheese on top.  This hearty dish gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik scale.


In a Dutch oven, I combine the ground beef with the chopped onions and bell peppers.  I cook this over high heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks and browns.


In the meantime, I slice the celery and add it to the pan along with the diced garlic, continuing to turn the mixture as it cooks and breaking up any large pieces of meat.  While that is cooking, I put some water in a large pot over high heat to bring it to a boil so I can cook the noodles (sorry, no picture).


Using a colander, I drain the meat mixture to remove all the grease.


I return the meat mixture to the pan and add the mushrooms, picante sauce, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato soup (sorry, I took the picture before adding the soup).  I stir these ingredients together to mix thoroughly, and let it come up to a boil.


Once it comes to a boil, I reduce the heat and let it simmer until the noodles are ready.


Once the noodles are cooked according to the package directions, I drain them and add them to the meat mixture.


Looking at this picture is making my mouth water!  At this point, it's ready to transfer to the baking dishes.  Unless you have a very large baking dish, it won't all fit in one.


I put about half in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.  This was then put into the oven and baked at 350° for half an hour until hot and bubbly.


The other half I put in a foil pan to cool and then freeze.  Whenever I get a call saying a family is in need of a meal, if I don't have time to prepare something fresh, I know I have this dish tucked away in the freezer.  I only need to add a salad, rolls and a dessert to serve a complete meal!


When the dish we were eating right away came out of the oven, I topped it with a generous amount of cheese and put it back in the oven to let the cheese melt.


With the wonderful smell in the kitchen, my family dug into their dinner so quickly, I didn't even get to take a picture of it on a plate!  Enjoy!


Kodiak Casserole

2 pounds ground beef
4 cup diced onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium green bell peppers, diced
2 cups diced celery
1 can (4 oz.) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 jar (8 oz.) picante sauce
1 bottle (18 oz.) barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef with onions, bell pepper and celery; drain.  Add remaining ingredients except noodles and cheese.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Add noodles, stirring to combine.  Transfer to baking dishes, cover and bake at 350° for ½ hour or until hot and bubbly.  Sprinkle with cheese; return to oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment