Saturday, November 3, 2012

Liza's Pizza Pasta Toss

This is one of those dishes that is hearty, tastes somewhat like pizza (which most kids love) and it's easy to prepare.  I call that a winning recipe!


I originally found this recipe in my May/June 2009 issue of Simple and Delicious, but each time I've made it I've changed it a little to suit my family's taste and make it blog worthy!  This recipe now gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.  With so many changes to the original recipe, I now call it my own!


I begin by putting some water in a Dutch oven over high heat to start boiling it to cook the pasta.  Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, I combine the Italian sausage, bell pepper and mushrooms.  I cook this mixture until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.


My first cooking teacher in Jr. High taught that if several dry spices are to be added to a dish, they should be combined in a small bowl first.  This way they are more easily distributed evenly in the dish.  I've always done this, plus I add it directly to the meat (once the fat is drained off) so the heat of the pan sears the spices to it.


Once combined, the spices get added to the meat mixture, stirring occasionally as it continues to cook.


Next in the pan goes the pepperoni.  I like to use the Hormel brand of pepperoni in the 3.5 oz. box and cut the pieces in half before peeling them apart and adding them to the pan.  I cut them in half so there aren't really big pieces of pepperoni in the dish, plus it doubles the number of pieces so there is likely to be pepperoni in each bite!


To this mixture I add the pizza sauce and diced tomatoes, mixing thoroughly and heating through for about 5 minutes.


Once the pasta is cooked according to the package directions, I drain it and add the meat mixture, stirring to combine.


Once I transfer it to a serving dish, the mozzarella cheese gets added to the top of the piping hot dish, which makes it melt perfectly.


This is an easy pasta dish, which is loaded with flavor.  Enjoy!


Liza’s Pizza Pasta Toss

3 ½ cups uncooked spiral pasta
1 pound Italian sausage
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 bell pepper, diced
1 (14 oz.) jar pizza sauce
1 (4.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
3.5  ounces pepperoni slices, halved
4 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried minced onion
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, cook Italian sausage, mushrooms, and bell pepper in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain.  Add the rest of the ingredients except cheese; cook and stir for 5 minutes.  Strain pasta; add to meat mixture, stir to mix thoroughly; heat through.  Sprinkle with cheese, remove from heat, cover until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment