Saturday, October 27, 2012

South of the Border Wraps

This is a great recipe to use when I have to feed my guys at several different times.  I can have all the elements ready to go and just have to build each wrap as needed.  There is no cooking involved, so this is a perfect thing to prepare on a hot day.


I found this recipe in a Quick Cooking magazine (renamed Simple & Delicious), but it didn't contain any kind of meat, so I altered it by adding chicken tossed in a Southwest seasoning mix.  This recipe gets all 8's on the Melnarik rating scale.  The recipe below makes enough for 3 wraps when using the soft taco size tortillas.  As a can of beans contains more than the 1/2 cup this recipe calls for, it's easy to double it to feed more people.  I usually prepare all of the beans in the can and make extra chicken so it's available for a quick sandwich. 


I put the beans, which have been rinsed and drained, in a shallow bowl.


Using a fork, I mash the beans into a thick paste.


To the beans, I add the salsa, cilantro, and green onions.


The salsa makes the mixture more spreadable.


To make this meal easier to prepare, I use the grilled chicken strips that are sold in most markets as well as the discount warehouse stores.  Any leftover chicken breast meat could also be used.  I cut the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes.  In a shallow bowl, I place the cooked and cubed chicken and add the Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning mix.  I don't know if there are other brands available out there, because I like this brand so much, I've never looked before.


I toss the chicken and the seasoning until all the pieces are coated.


After heating the tortillas in the microwave to make them pliable, I place about a third of the bean mixture down the center of one tortilla.


I top that with 1/3 of the chicken.


The chicken gets topped with a generous amount of the shredded cheese.


The whole thing gets wrapped up burrito style and it's ready to consume!


 This is a tasty and healthy sandwich that can be assembled quickly and easily.  Enjoy!


South of the Border Wraps

1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons prepared salsa
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 cup cooked, cubed chicken breast
2 tablespoons Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning Mix
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 flour tortillas, soft taco size (about 9 inches)

In a bowl, mash beans.  Add salsa, onions and cilantro; mix to combine.  In a separate bowl, toss chicken with seasoning to coat.  Spread 1/3 bean mixture on tortilla, top with 1/3 chicken and 1/3 cheese.  Roll up burrito style.  Repeat with remaining ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment