Saturday, January 11, 2014

Kenny's Orange Chicken

If you like the Orange Chicken that is served at Panda Express restaurants, you are bound to like this recipe.  When I was given this recipe, I was told that it made much more sauce than what was needed for the amount of chicken called for.  Therefore, I doubled the amount of chicken when I prepared it and my recipe below reflects those amounts.  I was assured it was very good, so leftovers were not going to be a problem.


My nephew, Kenny, has taken up cooking and this recipe came from him.  I told him that if we thought it was really good, I would add it to my blog.  We loved it, giving it straight 9's on the Melnarik rating scale!  His sister and her husband call this savory chicken Crazy Uncle Kenny's Orange Chicken, and told me I was free to call it that here, but I don't think he's crazy and he's not yet an uncle, so I'm just calling it Kenny's Orange Chicken (sorry Jessica and Arland!). Thank you, Kenny, for sharing this recipe with me!



To begin, I began heating about 1-inch of vegetable oil in my largest skillet to 375°F.  Then, I beat the eggs in a bowl using a fork and mixed the flour and salt and pepper in a shallow dish.  I started with 1 cup of the flour to which I added 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.  When I was about half way through dredging the chicken pieces, I added the other cup of flour with the same amount of seasonings.


I then began cutting the chicken into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes.


As I cut about a handful of chicken cubes, I dipped them in the egg,


then I dredged them in the flour mixture.  


I would only add enough chicken to almost cover the bottom of the frying pan.  This allowed them to cook evenly and gave me a bit of room to turn them as needed so they were golden brown on all sides.
  

As each batch was finished, I would drain it on paper towels for a few minutes, then place in in a large bowl and set it aside.



During the time I was cooking the chicken, I was making the sauce.  To begin, I combined 1 1/2 cups of the water with the orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.  Hint:  Before juicing the orange, wash the rind and zest it (remove very thin strips from the outer part of the skin) and set aside for later use.  I stirred the ingredients together and began cooking the sauce over medium heat for 4 minutes.


To this mixture, I added the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and green onions, stirring to combine.  I increased the heat to high and brought the sauce to a boil.


Once boiling, I reduced the heat to medium and stirred in the Mirin Sweet Cooking Sake and red pepper flakes.  In a separate bowl, I whisked together the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and slowly added it to the sauce while continuously stirring.  I continued cooking and stirring the sauce for a couple of minutes until it was nicely thickened.


I added the sauce to the cooked chicken I had set aside in the bowl and tossed to coat all the pieces of chicken.


I served this delectable chicken with some with rice and stir fry vegetables.  It did take a bit of time to put this dish together, because of the amount, but it was so worth the time!  If you like Asian flavors, this dish is for you!  Enjoy!


Kenny’s Orange Chicken

2 packages (16 oz. each) boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 extra large or 3 small eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
1 ¾ cups water, divided
1 tablespoon orange zest
juice of 1 large orange
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons Mirin Sweet Cooking Sake
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Heat oil in large frying pan or Dutch oven to 375°F.  Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.  In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, and pepper for breading.  In small batches, coat chicken pieces in egg, then dredge in flour mixture.  Fry chicken in batches, turning as necessary, until golden brown and fully cooked.  Drain on paper towels and set aside in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 ½ cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce, stirring to combine.  Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.  To the sauce, add orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and green onions, stirring to combine.  Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and stir in Mirin and red pepper; continue cooking.  In a cup, combine cornstarch with remaining ¼ cup water; mix well.  While stirring the sauce, slowly add cornstarch mixture; continue stirring until thickened.  Pour sauce over chicken and toss to coat; serve with rice.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Liza,

    (I don’t know how to catch your attention but hopefully you could spare me a minute to read this message.)

    My name is Freddy. Surfing on the net I found your blog and noticed you have a great number of tasty recipes there, that is why I am contacting you. I wonder if you would like join our website www.mytaste.com and receive more visitors to your blog through making your recipes available to a greater number of internet users.

    Mytaste.com has been launched recently and from the first day it has gained popularity among food lovers. Today the site can be found in 45 countries, where we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some Top Food Blogs on our pages receive more than 20 thousands unique visitors a week.

    Recently and to improve the user experience and develop their loyalty we added social features that allow our users to create cookbooks, save recipes and follow other users. This means that when a recipe from your blog is saved, the user will always have the opportunity of visiting your blog again.

    So, if this sounds like a good plan to you, please visit our website & add your blog through the Top Food Blogs section here: www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog There you will find all the instructions you need to follow to become a part of our bloggers family.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!
    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at info@mytaste.com

    Warm regards,
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be willing to change it once Kenny is an uncle? =D lol

    ReplyDelete