Friday, January 17, 2014

Campfire Potatoes

Scalloped potatoes was one of my favorite side dishes growing up.  My mom would make them to accompany her meatloaf, a meal she only made during the cold months.  This recipe tastes so much like her scalloped potatoes, but because they are cooked on the grill I can have that memorable flavor any time of year!

 

I discovered this recipe in the tear-out section of one of Reiman Publications cooking magazines in 1998.  It is a wonderful side dish for any meat I decide to grill and it gets 8's and 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.


After peeling and slicing my potatoes thinly (I use a mandolin slicer to do the cutting more quickly and evenly) I placed them on a large piece of heavy duty foil.  If I don't have any heavy duty foil, I use a double layer of regular foil.  This packet is fairly heavy once filled, so it needs the extra strength of the heavy duty foil.


Then I added the onions that I halved and sliced.  I do this because my guys don't like to pull what they consider a limp onion ring out of their food.  The onions could be diced, if you prefer.


Next, I sprinkled on the salt and pepper.


I just realized as I was looking at this picture after typing the recipe, that I did things a little backwards this time.  The recipe calls for the butter to be added before the seasonings and cheese, but as you can see here, I added the seasonings and cheese before the butter.  It really doesn't matter the order as long as none of the ingredients are left out!


After adding the cheese, I dotted it with butter and sprinkled on the parsley.


Once I began pulling the foil up around the spuds, I poured in the chicken broth (sorry no photo).  Then I finished folding the foil tightly around the bundle.  I find it easiest to transport the foil packet to the grill on a cookie sheet or cutting board.


After placing the packet on the grill (here I used my small table-top grill as my charcoal grill was being used for the Best Baby Back Ribs!) and cooked them, covered, over medium heat for about 40 minutes.


When done, I removed the packet to a platter and opened the foil carefully to allow steam to escape.  For me, it's comfort food straight from the grill!  Enjoy!



Campfire Potatoes

5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup chicken broth

Place the potatoes and onion on a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 20 in. x 20 in.); dot with butter.  Sprinkle the next 5 ingredients evenly on top.  Fold foil up around potatoes and add the broth.  Seal foil tightly.  Grill, covered, over medium heat for 35 – 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.


No comments:

Post a Comment