Monday, July 29, 2013

Teriyaki Finger Steaks

It had been a while since I had made this tasty and tender dish, and with it being hot outside, I thought now was the perfect time to make these easy Asian-flavored steaks.


I tore this recipe out of a Country magazine way back in 1998 and they have received all 9's on the Melnarik rating scale every time I have made them!


I began by trimming any excess fat from the steaks and cutting them into 3/4-inch wide strips.


I then placed them in a gallon size zip lock bag.


In a 2-cup measuring cup (I find it easier to pour into the bag this way) I combined the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, dried minced onion, vegetable oil, garlic, ground ginger and pepper; whisking to combine.


I poured this marinade over the beef and closed the bag.


Using my hands, I manipulated the beef strips in the marinade until I could see that all of them had been covered in the liquid.  I then placed the bag in the refrigerator for 2 hours.


About 10 minutes before I was ready to grill, I removed the strips from the refrigerator and loosely threaded them on metal skewers, and discarded the marinade.  If you are going to use bamboo skewers, soak them in water while the beef is in the refrigerator to prevent them from burning on the grill.

 

I then grilled them on a table-top gas grill over medium-hot heat, turning once, for about 10 minutes.


I put all of the skewers on a platter to be served family style, but the meat can be removed from the skewers before serving.  I served them with some white rice and a Crunchy Asian Salad (see post below), which was the perfect accompaniment to these tender steaks.  I've also served this dish as an appetizer at a party where all of the food was grilled.  Enjoy!


Teriyaki Finger Steaks

2 pounds boneless sirloin steak
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Tim fat from steak and slice length-wise into 3/4-inch strips; place in a zip lock plastic bag. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over meat, seal bag and manipulate meat so every piece is covered in the marinade.  Refrigerate for 2 – 3 hours.  Drain, discarding the marinade.  Loosely thread meat strips onto skewers.  Grill over medium-hot heat, turning often, for 7 – 10 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness.



1 comment: