Sunday, May 12, 2013

German Apple Cake

There are a few recipes that I always go to when I need to make a good dessert that travels well.  This is one of those recipes.  Because I use my Pampered Chef Apple Peeler Corer Slicer machine, this cake is easy to assemble.  It's not pretty to look at, but the flavor more than makes up for it.


I made this cake to send to a reception following a funeral and forgot to take a picture once I had it frosted.  I also didn't get a photo of it once it was cut, sorry.  More than 20 years ago, the little church I was attending was putting on their first ladies' luncheon and we decided to share our favorite recipes with those in attendance.  This recipe was shared by Cheri Walters, our pastor's wife and my friend.  It has been a hit every time I've made it over the years.


This cake is unusual in that it doesn't begin by creaming butter and sugar together.  After I preheat the oven to 350°F, I begin by combining the oil and eggs in a large bowl.


Using a hand mixer, I beat the eggs and oil until foamy.


Then I add the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla and cinnamon.


These ingredients need to be mixed in my hand, as the batter will be thick, almost like a cookie dough in consistency.  I like to use my Pampered Chef Mix 'N Scraper (I call it a spoontula!) because it works like a spoon while acting like a rubber spatula to keep the sides of the bowl scraped.  It's one of my favorite utensils!


After peeling, coring and slicing my apples using my Pampered Chef tool, I add them to the batter.  I've found that 1 regular medium size Granny Smith apple equals 1 cup of sliced apple for this recipe.


Using my spoontula, I fold the apples into the batter, trying not to break too many of the apples.


I transfer this mixture to a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish (in this case an aluminum pan so nobody had to worry about returning my pan) and place it in the oven to bake at 350°F for 55 minutes.  After that, I check the middle for doneness by sticking a cake tester in it, before removing it from the oven.  Sometimes it needs an additional 5 minutes baking time.


I place the cake on a cooling rack to cool completely before adding the cream cheese frosting.


To make the frosting, I combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl using a hand mixer.


To that, I add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition.



The last thing I add is the vanilla, beating until smooth.  I then spread the frosting evenly on top of the cooled cake.  It's ready to take to a pot luck meal or any other event.  Depending on how big the pieces are cut, it serves a minimum of 15 people.  This cake is a great way to end any meal!  Enjoy!



German Apple Cake

1 cup vegetable oil
3 small or 2 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups thinly sliced green apples (Granny Smith or Pippin)

Preheat oven to 350°F.  In  large bowl, beat oil and eggs with a mixer until foamy.  Add sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and vanilla; stir by hand.  Batter will be thick, almost like cookie dough in consistency.  Fold in apples carefully.  Transfer to a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.  Bake at 350°F for 55 minutes, or until done in the middle.  Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients until smooth.  Spread on cooled cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment