Friday, June 15, 2012

Devonshire Cream

When I posted the recipes from my Valentine's tea, I neglected to add the recipe for Devonshire Cream, which along with your favorite curd and jam, makes the perfect accompaniment for fresh scones.  Having made a fresh batch for my tea yesterday, I thought this was a good time to share my recipe.  Lora Prange, a friend from church shared this recipe with me several years ago, and it is always well received.  In fact, yesterday one of my friends even spread it on a jam straw I served as one of my dessert choices!


This recipe has only 4 ingredients which need to be beaten with an electric mixer in a medium bowl.  I have found that the best way to get a smooth texture is to combine the Mascarpone cheese with the sugar and vanilla first, beating on a medium speed to combine, then add the whipping cream and beating on high until soft peaks form.  I usually make it right before serving, but it can also be made ahead and refrigerated until serving.

Devonshire Cream
(also known as Devon Cream)

4 ounces Mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream

In a medium bowl, combine Mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed.  Add the whipping cream and beat on high until the mixture holds it shape and creates soft peaks.  Refrigerate until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment