Monday, April 23, 2012

Sausage Tortellini Soup

This soup is definitely a favorite in my house.  When I first tried this recipe, which I cut out of a magazine, it was an immediate hit, getting 9s all around on the Melnarik rating scale!  I have made this soup for several large functions and have found it to be one of the most requested recipes.  

After having temperatures in the 90s last week, today was a chilly, cloudy day that was perfect for making soup for dinner.  I chose this soup, not only because it's a favorite, but also a healthy one as I use Jennie-O  Hot Italian Turkey Sausage instead of the regular Italian sausage the recipe called for.  Jennie-O makes a Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, but I find the hot one doesn't really add any heat, just more flavor.  I've never had anyone complain about the heat level on this soup.


I was pressed for time when cooking this evening as my oldest son, Jimmy, had to eat before the rest of us because he had a class to go to.  There wasn't enough time to take pictures of each step, so I opted to give you one picture like you would find in a recipe book.

The turkey sausage comes in links, so the first step is to remove them and break them up in a Dutch oven or soup pot.  As the sausage begins to cook, I prepare the vegetables, chopping the carrots, onion, and bell pepper and mincing the garlic.  As each vegetable is chopped, I add it to the sausage, stirring and breaking up the chunks each time.  My guys have decided that they don't like zucchini, and won't eat it, so I don't tell them that one of their favorite soups contains zucchini!  The way I slip it to them is by grating it before adding it.  I figure it's less recognizable that way.  If any of them have noticed it, they haven't mentioned it to me.

My cooking teacher, who was Italian by the way, told me in 7th grade that dried spices needed to be added to the meat while cooking.  This way it adheres better to the meat and as it hits the heat of the pan it becomes more aromatic.  I don't know if there is any scientific proof of that or if Alton Brown would agree, but I've always done it this way, even if a recipe called for the seasoning to be added later.  So, the rosemary gets added to the sausage and veggie mixture in the pot before adding the liquids.  Once the sausage is cooked and the vegetables are tender, I add the chicken broth and tomato sauce, turn down the heat and let everything simmer.  The last thing added is the tortellini, as it doesn't take long to cook.

This has got to be one of the most flavorful soups I make, and it's perfect for a cold day!  Enjoy!


Sausage Tortellini Soup 

1 pkg. Jenni-O Hot Turkey Sausage, casings removed
2 carrots, cleaned and diced
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 med. zucchini, shredded
2 (32 oz.) boxes chicken broth*
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried, crushed rosemary
1 (20 oz.) pkg. refrigerated 3-cheese tortellini

In a Dutch oven, combine the sausage, carrots, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook over medium heat until sausage is browned and crumbles.  Add rosemary and zucchini; cook until tender.

Stir in chicken broth and tomato sauce; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.  Add tortellini; simmer 5 minutes, or until tender.  Serve immediately.

Yield:  10 – 12 servings


* I use the organic chicken broth sold at Costco



No comments:

Post a Comment