Monday, February 27, 2012

Baked Mostaccioli, Leon Salad & Bubble Loaf


For as many years as I can remember, when a birthday was coming up for one of my guys, I gave them the choice of me making one of their favorite meals or going out to dinner on their special day.  When the boys were younger, they always picked something they loved that I made.  In, I'd say, the past 5 years or so, they all have opted for going out to a sit-down restaurant.  We don't go to restaurants with servers very often, so it was always a nice treat and a good way to try new restaurants in our area.  My husband just celebrated his birthday, and I gave him the normal options expecting him to choose to go out to dinner.  I was extremely surprised when he asked if I'd mind cooking and proceeded to tell me exactly what he would like.  He chose Baked Mostaccioli, Leon Salad, and Bubble Loaf.  As much as I was looking forward to a night out, it was such a compliment for him to choose my cooking over restaurant fare!



My twin sister, Mary Gage, gave me this recipe for Baked Mostaccioli and it has been a family favorite for years.  This is one of my go-to recipes when I'm cooking for a family with a new baby, or where someone's had surgery, etc.  The original recipe called for ground beef only, but I kicked it up with 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 Italian sausage.  This recipe makes quite a bit as it sits higher than the top edge of my 9x13-inch dish.  It's hearty and quite flavorful.


Leon Salad is the perfect pairing with any Italian-style dish.  The actual salad doesn't have many ingredients, but the homemade dressing is what makes this special.  I asked Marcia Wrobbel for this recipe after tasting it at a work potluck over 30 years ago.  At that point, I still lived with my parents and had never gone grocery shopping.  I quickly learned that there is lettuce other than the "head lettuce" (iceberg) which we always used.  Also, one of the ingredients in the dressing is Parmesan cheese.  At that time the only Parmesan I was aware of came in a green can!  I was so excited to make this salad for my family, I did so the next time my mother made an Italian dish.  I had to confess to Marcia that it was awful, as it seemed as though there was sand in the salad.  She asked if I had used the "green can Parmesan."  After admitting that I had, she told me that Parmesan cheese is sold in a wedge, and was kind enough to tell me how to grate it properly on the bumpy side of the box grater!  Our family has never gone back to the green can!  I've served this salad many times throughout the years including for large functions.  The key here is to toss the salad with the dressing just prior to serving so the lettuce doesn't wilt.  It is best when tossed with the dressing, but I've also served the dressing on the side.


Bubble Loaf is another recipe that my sister, Mary, turned me on to.  She found it in the Apr./May '97 Taste of Home magazine.  It's super easy to make, you just have to allow enough time for the frozen bread dough to defrost and then after adding the herbs, it needs to rise before baking.  It is sooo worth it! My youngest son actually asked me to make 2 loaves for this meal!

These three recipes combined make for an Italian meal that won't soon be forgotten.  Enjoy!

Baked Mostaccioli

8 oz.mostaccioli                                        1 (4 oz.) mushroom pieces
1 lb. ground beef                                     ½ cup water
1 lb. Italian sausage                                1 tsp. salt
1 med. onion, chopped                             1 tsp. sugar
1 sm. green bell pepper, diced                 1 tsp. crushed dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced                              ¼ tsp. pepper
1 (28oz.) can diced tomatoes                   1 large bay leaf
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce                       16 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 (6 oz.) cantomato paste                         ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, cook mostaccioli in a large amount of boiling water according to package directions; drain.  Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the ground beef, Italian sausage, onion bell pepper, and garlic until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.  Drain off fat.  Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, undrained mushrooms, water, salt, sugar, basil, pepper and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove bay leaf.  Stir in cooked mostaccioli.  Place half of this mixture into a 9x13-inch or 3-quart casserole dish.  Sprinkle 2/3 of the mozzarella cheese on top; add the remaining meat mixture.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through.  Remove foil; sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top and return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Leon Salad

Salad
            2  bunches romaine lettuce, finely torn
            1/4 lb. Italian salami, cut julienne
            1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, shredded
            1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained
Dressing
            1/2 cup vegetable oil
            4 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
            2 tsp. dry mustard
            1 tsp. salt
            1 tsp. pepper
            1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (not Kraft in the green can!)

In a large bowl, toss all salad ingredients.  In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients*.  Pour dressing over salad and toss.  Serve immediately.

Helpful hint:

I use a Tupperware shaker cup to mix the dressing ingredients.  Then if I’m taking this recipe to a party, I take the salad fixings in a large Tupperware bowl and the dressing in the shaker cup.  Just before serving I shake the dressing, add to the salad and toss.

Bubble Loaf
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1-1 lb. loaf frozen bread dough, defrosted  (I use Bridgford brand)

In a very small bowl, combine seasonings with butter.  Pull off 1/2-inch ball size pieces of dough, dip in butter/herb mixture and place in a loaf pan.  Set in a warm place for 45 minutes or until loaf doubles in size.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 min. or until golden brown.  Invert on a plate to serve.   

No comments:

Post a Comment