Thursday, July 5, 2012

Liza's Faux Baked Beans


It's summer, so that means using the grill a lot more.  Whether it's burgers and dog or ribs, one of my favorite go to side dishes is baked beans.  This can be a major time commitment if done the traditional way, plus turning on the oven when the weather is hot is never a good idea, so I came up with this tastes-like-slow-cooked-baked beans that can be cooked on top of the stove.  This recipe gets all 9's on the Melnarik rating scale!


This recipe gives the taste of real baked beans and they're ready in half an hour!


I begin by cooking the bacon in a medium saucepan.  I cut the strips across and fry them that way in order to get uniform size pieces.


As I work on other aspect of my meal, I check on the bacon frequently, stirring so it doesn't stick to the pan.




Once fully cooked, I remove the bacon to paper towels to absorb the grease and discard the bacon drippings.  Tip:  Put some foil in a small bowl and put the bacon grease in it.  When it solidifies, pull up the edges of the foil and throw it away.  No cleaning necessary!


When I open the cans of beans, I usually find those big chunks of salt pork near the top.  I always remove those because I think nobody wants to bite into that big piece of salty meat and fat while eating the beans.


Using the same saucepan that I cooked the bacon in, I put in the beans, brown sugar, chili sauce and the  bacon I just cooked.


I mix the ingredients together, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  While simmering, I can go about getting the rest of my meal together.  So simple and so good!  Enjoy!


Liza's Faux Baked Beans

2 cans (16.5 oz.) pork and beans
5 slices bacon
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chili sauce

Cut bacon into small pieces; cook in a medium saucepan over high heat until fully cooked, stirring frequently.  Remove to paper towels; discard bacon drippings.  In same saucepan, combine beans, brown sugar, chili sauce and bacon; stir to combine.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment