Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Liza's Breakfast Hash

This is a pretty easy breakfast that is hearty and quite flavorful.  When I first came up with this I spent time cubing potatoes and cutting onions and bell peppers.  I know fresh is always better, but frozen is the next best thing, so to save time, I use the frozen Potatoes O'Brien.  I use more onions and bell pepper when I do it myself, but I like the time saving aspect of using the frozen mix.  Therefore, I will show you the easier way to do it here.


Also, when I first started making this dish, I would use kielbasa or some other sort of sausage, browning it in a separate pan before adding it to the potato mixture.  One time my husband suggested I try chorizo in it and have been making it that way ever since.  The chorizo adds a bit of heat to the dish, so if you prefer dishes that aren't spicy at all, you may want to use a sausage in this dish.


This takes 3 pans to prepare and I start them all at one time!  In my large wok, I begin cooking the potatoes O'Brien using butter for flavor instead of the oil listed in the directions on the bag.  In another pot I start cooking the chorizo to render out the fat.  The last pot gets some butter in which to cook the scrambled eggs.


I use a medium bowl to beat the eggs before adding them to the pan where I've melted a bit of butter.  While cooking the eggs, every so often I stir the chorizo so it won't stick to the pan and turn the potatoes so they get evenly cooked and browned.


I place four layers of paper towels in the bowl I used to beat the eggs and place the chorizo in them to absorb a lot of the grease.  Beside wanting to get rid of the extra fat, it will keep the chorizo from completely coloring the whole meal the color of the chorizo.  The dish doesn't look as appealing that way, believe me I know from experience!


The potatoes should not be stirred often as that will make them mushy and not allow them to get nicely browned.  I like to cook them until it looks as though each cube has at least one side browned.  As long as the potatoes are cooked, it's a matter of preference as to how brown you want them.


Once the potatoes are ready, I add the scrambled eggs and toss to combine, breaking up any large pieces of egg.


As you can see from the picture above, there is quite a bit of grease that came out of the chorizo.


I add the chorizo to the pan and toss to incorporate it evenly.


I sprinkle the cheese on top and cover the pan to help it melt more quickly.  Then I serve it directly from the pan at the table.


This is a tasty as well as a hearty breakfast that will start any day off right.  Enjoy!


Liza's Breakfast Hash

1 (28 oz.) bag frozen Potatoes O'Brien
1 pound chorizo
8 eggs
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, divided
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a Dutch oven or wok, melt 5 tablespoons of butter and begin cooking potatoes over medium-high heat, turning every so often to cook and brown evenly.  In the meantime, remove chorizo from casing and cook in a small saucepan over medium heat, breaking up the meat at it cooks.  In another saucepan, melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.  In a medium bowl, beat eggs; add to melted butter and cook over medium heat, scraping the pan as the eggs cook.  Place paper towels in the bowl in which the eggs were beaten; add cooked chorizo to drain fat.  When potatoes are fully cooked and browned to your liking, add scrambled eggs, tossing to combine and breaking up any large pieces of egg.  Add chorizo and toss to combine.  Top with shredded cheese, cover and let stand for a few minutes to let the cheese melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment