Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Grilled Asparagus and New Potatoes

I found this recipe years ago in a Great Grilling recipe book I found near the check out stand at the market.  It is the perfect accompaniment for the Peach and Mustard Glazed Pork Tenderloin, which I will share with you also.


The first time I made this, I wasn't sure my boys would like it as they were much younger, but the smoky flavor with the mild seasoning made it a hit with all of my guys.  They give this dish 8's on the Melnarik rating scale!  What I love about it is that it's so easy to put together.


In a medium bowl, I combine half of the required amounts of salt and lemon-pepper seasoning in extra virgin olive oil.


I then scrub the new potatoes and cut them into approximately 1/2-inch cubes.  They get added to the olive oil mixture and tossed until all of the pieces of potato are coated.


The potatoes then get put directly into a grill basket which is directly over the coals, or heat source if using a gas grill.  I forgot to take a picture of just the grill basket, so you're seeing how I cook the side dish at the same time as the main course of pork tenderloin.  If you don't have a grill basket, heavy duty foil with some holes punched in it will also suffice.  I cover the grill and take the lid off every few minutes to stir the potatoes so they cook evenly.  The potatoes take longer to cook, so they begin cooking in the basket alone for about 10 minutes before adding the asparagus.


In the meantime, I combine the remaining salt, lemon-pepper seasoning and oil in the same bowl I used before.  I cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces, discarding the tough ends, and toss them in the bowl with the seasoned oil.  Then I add the asparagus to the grill basket, cooking the vegetables covered and stirring every few minutes for even cooking.


After about 10 minutes, the vegetables are fully cooked and I removed them from the basked to a serving bowl.  Just looking at that picture makes my mouth water!  Enjoy!


Grilled Asparagus and New Potatoes

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 lb. red potatoes
1 lb. fresh asparagus spears

Heat grill.  In a medium shallow bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the oil with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the lemon-pepper seasoning.  Scrub potatoes clean.  Do not peel.  Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.  Add potatoes to oil and seasonings; toss to coat.  Place grill basket on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium coals.  Cook 10 minutes, turning potatoes occasionally for even cooking.  Meanwhile, in same bowl, combine remaining oil, salt and lemon-pepper seasoning.  Trim asparagus and cut into 1-inch pieces.  Add to bowl and toss to coat.  Add asparagus to potatoes in grill basket.  Cook about 10 minutes or until potatoes and asparagus are tender, turning and mixing vegetables occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment