Friday, February 17, 2012

Heart-Shaped Mexican Pizza



We typically don't go out to dinner on Valentine's Day, as the restaurants are usually crowded so the wait is long.  Each year I try to make something where I can cut something into a heart or decorate the meal with hearts.  This year, I found a recipe on Pinterest for a Mexican Pizza.  It originated at allrecipes.com and was called Jimmy's Mexican Pizza.  I doubled the recipe to have enough for my family.  The recipe is printed below.


The recipe calls for 10-inch (medium - soft taco) tortillas.  I turned a heart-shaped plate upside-down on top of each tortilla and used a sharp knife to cut them into hearts.  Two tortillas are needed for each pizza.  Instead of using a pie plate for each one, I put them on a foil-lined baking sheet.  I used the Reynolds Non-stick Aluminum Foil.


While I had the ground beef, onions, garlic, and spices cooking in a large saucepan on the stove, I spread each tortilla with the refried beans.


When the meat mixture was ready, I applied a layer on top of the beans.


Next I put another tortilla on top of that and put the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  While that was in the oven, I cut my tomatoes and green onions.


Once out of the oven, I added a layer of salsa.  Our salsa of choice is Chachi's Salsa Pico de Gallo (medium heat).  


The recipe calls for Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses, but I opted for the pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend.  This was added on top of the salsa.


Next I put on the chopped tomatoes and green onions.  Back into the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheeses.


I served each one on a cute heart-shaped plate.  Believe me, they tasted as good as they looked.  Although I usually follow a recipe exactly the first time I try it, I did omit the diced jalapeno (we got enough heat from the salsa) and I may have used more cheese, tomato and green onion than the recipe called for, because I know my family's tastes.  This is definitely something I would make again, although I probably won't always take the time to make it heart-shaped. Enjoy!


Mexican Pizza
Ingredients
·       1/2 pound ground beef
·       1 medium onion, diced
·       1 clove garlic, minced
·       1 tablespoon chili powder
·       1 teaspoon ground cumin
·       1/2 teaspoon paprika
·       1/2 teaspoon black pepper
·       1/2 teaspoon salt
·       1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
·       4 (10 inch) flour tortillas
·       1/2 cup salsa
·       1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
·       1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
·       2 green onions, chopped
·       2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
·       1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers
·       1/4 cup sour cream (optional)

Directions
1.     Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).   Coat 2 pie plates with non-stick cooking spray.
2.     Place beef, onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat.   Cook until beef is evenly browned.   Drain off grease.  Season the meat with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
3.     Lay one tortilla in each pie plate, and cover with a layer of refried beans.   Spread half of the seasoned ground beef over each one, and then cover with a second tortilla.   Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
4.     Remove the plates from the oven, and let cool slightly.   Spread half of the salsa over each top tortilla.   Cover each pizza with half of the Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.   Place half of the tomatoes, half of the green onions, and half of the jalapeno slices onto each one.
5.     Return the pizzas to the oven, and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.   Remove from the oven, and let cool slightly before slicing each one into 4 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment