Friday, April 26, 2013

Skillet Pizza

This has got to be one of the quickest and easiest pizzas I've ever put together, and any of the toppings can probably be substituted with your favorites! 


I found this recipe in one of my recent Reiman Publications, probably Simple & Delicious.  I couldn't put my hands on the exact one before adding this to my blog, so I can't give full credit where it is due, and I can't tell you exact amounts of ingredients.  It's so easy anyone can figure it out!  This dish gets almost all 9's on the Melnarik rating scale.  My husband doesn't care for thin crust, so he gave it an 8!


In a small skillet, heat about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.  Add some thinly sliced yellow bell pepper and red onion.  Begin to saute vegetables over medium-low heat.


In the meantime, very thinly slice about 3 fresh mushrooms.  When the onion and pepper are beginning to soften, add the mushrooms and cook until vegetables are tender and the mushrooms are reduced.  Remove vegetables to a plate.


In the same skillet, add another 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.  Add one medium (soft taco size) tortilla and warm about 30 seconds or so, or until it feels slightly hot to the touch.  Do not let it get really crispy.


Flip the tortilla over (you can see that it got a little crispy on the first side).  It will be on this side longer as the toppings are added and the cheese needs time to melt.

 

As soon as you flip it, spread some prepared pizza sauce on top.


Then add the pepperoni slices.  When first making this, I thought it was odd to have the pepperoni under the cheese, so I experimented putting on top.  But, it's better closer to the source of heat to get the  pepperoni hot.


Sprinkle some Mexican cheese blend (cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses) on top of the pepperoni.


Add the sautéed vegetables on top of the cheese.


Sprinkle a some diced tomato on top of that, cover the skillet and let it cook until the cheese is melted (about 1 - 2 minutes).


How simple is that?  In my house, I have two young men, who are hungry often.  This pizza can be on a plate in front of them in about 15 minutes!  And it's oh so tasty!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment